the best scientific method dictate with no preconceptions

< Previous | Next >

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I am having trouble understanding the above-mentioned phrase. Here is the context:

I wrote to a leading scholar in the field of interpreting, and asked him a question:

My assumption is that if these activities (idea reformulation, splitting attention, abstracting and speed of processing) were practiced and improved upon they would close the performance gap between journeyman and expert interpreters. However, my concern is that the mastery of these activities has not proven to create a better interpreter and in this case may only create a mediocre interpreter that can skillfully complete certain activities.

He said:
I share that concern. You must address this and similar concerns frankly and honestly and reach the conclusions that the best possible scientific method dictate, with no preconceptions.

I would appreciate it if you could paraphrase the phrase in bold for me.

• danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Hello bibliolept. I am drawing a blank. I think that he is saying that as long as the methodology is scientific, it should be fine, but before the experiment, there should not be any pre-conceived assumptions.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    In this sort of context, what is probably meant by "scientific method" is probably simply to draw one's conclusions based solely on facts and that one shouldn't let one's expectations affect those conclusions.

< Previous | Next >