'the big picture' place in a sentence

< Previous | Next >

Lang_Student

Russian
Hi,

I was wondering if this sentence sounds natural and whether 'the big picture' expression can be in the middle of the sentence like this or better used at the end of the sentence?

'Strive for clean and compliant code while seeing the big picture of making a difference through the power of technology and communication, one project at a time.'

Thank you in advance!

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Lang Student. There is a lot of information in your sentence, and some of that information doesn't seem to be essential to your message. There is nothing inherently wrong with using "the big picture" in the middle of a sentence. But it is often a good idea to break a long sentence into two different sentences.

The only essential information I see in your sentence seems to be the instruction to "Strive for clean and compliant code". What are you trying to accomplish with this sentence, LS? Are you giving an instruction to somebody to do something?

Lang_Student

Russian
    Hi owlman5,
    The idea is to describe an employee who would do his day to day work but at the same time be aware of bigger meaning of it and could put it in perspective. What would be a better way to put it?

owlman5

English-US
    Hi. I think you would do well to express the idea in two different sentences if you want to keep all the information that you have in that long sentence.

I would probably express this idea with shorter sentences: See the big picture as you strive for clean and compliant code. Technology makes a difference in people's lives.

Lang_Student

Russian
    While the meaning stays the same, the style of it changes? It sounds more like an instruction than a positive description, am I right?

owlman5

English-US
    Not to me. You seem to be encouraging somebody to "see the big picture". You seem to be saying that the "big picture" is the idea that technology is important.

Neither you or I are attempting to give anybody instructions about anything. "See the big picture" is just another way to say "There is a big picture involved in what you are doing as you write code. It is a good idea to keep that big picture in mind as you do this."

< Previous | Next >