the big wood is probably too much for them to chew

< Previous | Next >

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
From an American football "glog", or live commentary on an ongoing game:

"As for the Pats, it appeared the wind did affect a number of Brady's passes, and he was less effective in the 1st half of this game than in any other game this season. Still, one gets the impression the Pats will find a way to get the job done tonight, although the big wood is probably too much for them to chew."

Any idea what the highlighted phrase means?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    This is a new one on me, Cuchuflete, but I'm going to guess that it's a reference to their opponents in an upcoming game. Perhaps the opposition in the next game is "The Beavers"?:)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Wow, a sports question I know "something about."

To "lay the big wood" has two sports-related meanings in my experience:
    - To bet a lot on something
    - To play hard, to play strongly or aggressively so as to crush or slap down your opponents

Fernita

castellano de Argentina.
    Hi, cuchuflete! I've just found the following in the Urban Dictionary. Honestly, I don't know if it might help you but here it is:

6.the wood

Referred to when a punishing hit is delievered in an athletic event. Known as "bringing the wood" or "laying the wood." Hits often leave opponents crippled for life which is incouragable as it brings prestige to those who "bring the wood"
    Coach: Ok Tommy, You're big and black you should be able to bring the wood here and put their white QB out of the game.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Thanks to all for the fine explanations. They make clear that the glogger was taking
    some liberties with the expression, munching mixed metaphors, as it were.

< Previous | Next >