The bigger the footprint women have

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

On the positive side, the growing number of women in the workplace is likely to reshape demand for things like flexible hours and paid family leave, which working men might appreciate as well.
"The bigger the footprint women have, the harder it is to say this is a fringe group that wants a fringe benefit, and the labor market won't stand for it," Stevenson says.

(This comes from npr.org Women Now Outnumber Men On U.S. Payrolls on January 10, 2020.)

1. Does "footprint" here literally mean the amount of space that women fills in the workplace, and refer back to the previous "the growing number of women in the workplace"?

Thanks in advance!

• Ponyprof

Canadian English
    I see footprint used often to describe the area a building occupies on a parcel of land.

I haven't seen this particular use of it before but it makes sense to me when I read it.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The bigger the footprint women have,
    This seems odd to me. I think it's a metaphor that this writer created, not a meaning that is widely used.

Checking the dictionary, some of the meanings of "footprint" are about "the affected area". A big footprint implies a large area that was affected. But it's hard to translate "a large area" into "a large percent of the people".

< Previous | Next >