The biggest the country, the varied the landscape -double comparison-

gabbsgou93

spanish
Hello,

I am studying the double comparative sentences and I wanted to know if this sentence is correct:
"The biggest the country, the varied the landscape"

There is also another sentence:
"the more spectactular the landscape is, the easiest you remember it" is this correct?

I am not sure when to use a verb after a noun. Like for example, we have this other sentence "the warmer the weather, the lighter the clothes that you wear"

Why we don´t say "the warmer the weather is" ?

Thanks

• The Newt

English - US
    "The bigger the country, the more varied the landscape."
    "The more spectacular a landscape is, the easier you remember it."

wolfram_beta

English - American
    "The more spectacular a landscape is, the easier you remember it."
    I would say, "the more spectacular the landscape, the more easily you remember it" or "the more spectacular the landscape, the easier it is to remember." However, I think using "easier" is grammatically incorrect in the provided example.

It's up to you whether to include the "is." I would say that stylistically, it's more common to omit it, particularly in writing. When omitted, the "is" is implied.

The Newt

English - US
    I would say, "the more spectacular the landscape, the more easily you remember it" or "the more spectacular the landscape, the easier it is to remember." However, I think using "easier" is grammatically incorrect in the provided example.
    [...]
    "The more spectacular a landscape is, the more easily you remember it" would probably be better. I think "the easier you remember it" is probably okay, but it may not quite be standard.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    "The more spectacular a landscape is, the more easily you remember it" would probably be better. I think "the easier you remember it" is probably okay, but it may not quite be standard.
    That's true. But it's fairly common to use adjectives for adverbs in certain collocations. In both languages.
    Hello,

I am studying the double comparative sentences and I wanted to know if this sentence is correct:
    "The biggest the country, the varied the landscape"

There is also another sentence:
    "the more spectactular the landscape is, the easiest you remember it" is this correct?

I am not sure when to use a verb after a noun. Like for example, we have this other sentence "the warmer the weather, the lighter the clothes that you wear"

Thanks
    Hola, Gabbsgou93, y bienvenida a los foros. Para que entiendas mejor un error de estas oraciones, te explico que están mezcladas las formas comparativa y superlativa; tienes que usar el comparativo en las dos partes de la oración.
    De modo que en la primera "biggest" -> "bigger", "varied" -> "more varied"; y en la segunda, "more spectacular" está bien, pero "easiest" -> "easier". La tercera está bien, porque tanto "warmer" como "lighter" son formas comparativas.

< Previous | Next >