The bikini contest is only funny if ...

PureLand

Chinese
Though I Feel Pretty is intended to deliver a message of empowerment – women should feel good about themselves without struggling to meet unreasonable standards of beauty – it ends up making the exact opposite point. If you don't look like Emily Ratajkowski, the film says, a rail-thin model and actress who has a small role, you're unworthy of attention and love. The bikini contest is only funny if you buy into the movie's antiquated, pernicious notion that no woman who looks like Amy Schumer ought to be that comfortable in her own body. Amy Schumer's new movie I Feel Pretty hasn't impressed critics

What does it imply by "The bikini contest is only funny if you buy into the movie's antiquated, pernicious notion that no woman who looks like Amy Schumer ought to be that comfortable in her own body"? :confused: Thank you :)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You must understand such phrases as "The bikini contest is only funny" and "no woman who looks like Amy Schumer". Which word or phrase concerns you?

PureLand

Chinese
    You must understand such phrases as "The bikini contest is only funny" and "no woman who looks like Amy Schumer". Which word or phrase concerns you?
    Thank you so much for your reply, PaulQ :D

"The bikini contest is only funny" concerns me :confused: Thank you :)

I have no idea why the bikini contest is only funny if we accept the bad idea that women should be unhappy about their body figures if they look like Amy Schumer. (Not sure if I have interpreted if-sentence correctly :p Thank you :)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    is only funny if = is not funny unless

The idea seems to be that the bikini scene in the film is intended to be funny, but the comedy does not work unless you think that fat women should be ashamed of the way they look.

PureLand

Chinese
    is only funny if = is not funny unless

The idea seems to be that the bikini scene in the film is intended to be funny, but the comedy does not work unless you think that fat women should be ashamed of the way they look.
    Got it! Thank you so much for your incisive explanation, PaulQ :D

< Previous | Next >