The bridal veil was also embellished.

< Previous | Next >

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

Can a bridal veil be embellished? Because when I googled it not a lot of results returned.

Is this correct? :

The bride was wearing a dress which was beautifully embroidered. The bridal veil was also embellished.

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    It’s probably more usual to state what something is embellished with, but it’s also okay to use the verb intransitively. The writer is clearly not a professional, or they would never have repeated beautiful/beautifully like that.

supermarioutd

Persian
    It’s probably more usual to state what something is embellished with, but it’s also okay to use the verb intransitively. The writer is clearly not a professional, or they would never have repeated beautiful/beautifully like that.
    Does this work perfectly?

The bride was wearing an elegant dress which was beautifully embroidered with tiny flowers. The bridal veil was also embellished with.........

Now, what can I put in the blank at the end?

Myridon

English - US
    Whatever the veil was embellished with - beads, lace, beads and lace, embroidery, ...
    The point is that someone is much more likely to say the more specific thing - a beaded veil, a lace veil, etc - so there won't be that many hits for "embellished veil".

supermarioutd

Persian
    Whatever the veil was embellished with - beads, lace, beads and lace, embroidery, ...
    The point is that someone is much more likely to say the more specific thing - a beaded veil, a lace veil, etc - so there won't be that many hits for "embellished veil".
    So this is unnatural? :

The bride was wearing an elegant dress which was beautifully embroidered with tiny flowers. The bridal veil was also embellished with beads.

"embellished with lace" does not work right?

lingobingo

English - England
    It’s okay, but the inclusion of words that don’t need to be there is a big giveaway that it’s not written by a native English-speaker.

The bride was wearing an elegant dress … beautifully embroidered with tiny flowers. The bridal veil was … embellished with beads.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    A fingertip wedding veil with a stunning silver-embroidered scallop design embellished with pearls and beads. (Pinterest)

Sure it can be "embellished with" something highly decorative. It's fine for a report in a gossip magazine, but I wouldn't use those exact words to describe my friend's bridal veil.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    supermariutd, I don't undertand why the writer used different verbs in the two sentences. I think they should have said wht the dress was embroidred wiht o r h

< Previous | Next >