the bugs my colleagues make

< Previous | Next >

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everyone!
I saw a meme recently, and I don't understand a comment of it:
FB_IMG_1577757442998.jpg

A comment said:OK then I am a serial killer. The majority of my victims are the bugs my colleagues who code on dark background make. 😜

So what's the meaning of 'make' here? I think it's not necessary and really confused. Please help me.

Thanks in advance! :)

• The Newt

English - US
    A comment said:OK then I am a serial killer. The majority of my victims are the bugs my colleagues who code on dark background make. 😜

[...]
    The idea seems to be "I am a serial killer. Most of the victims that I 'kill' are 'bugs' in computer code created (made) by my colleagues who code on dark backgrounds."

forgoodorill

Chinese
    :thumbsup: :) Thanks, The Newt! So this is an idiomatic use? Or just a fine form? And I think 'seems to be' like the a verb preceded by an auxiliary verb form, so use its original from? Thanks!

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In computer code, we call a mistake "a bug". That word has been used by computer programmers for 40+ years.

The majority of my victims are the bugs my colleagues who code on a dark background make.
    In English we say "I make a mistake" to mean I do something incorrectly. This person is saying his colleagues "make a bug". That is not idiomatic. In my career as a programmer, I never heard anyone say "make a bug". Programmers "make" mistakes, and that causes a bug to exist in their code.

So I think this comic strip was written by a non-programmer. He knows about "bugs" but doesn't use the word idiomatically.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Whatever joke the meme is making escapes me. I have no idea what it means to code on a light background. Old-fashioned? A particular operating platform? A particular task?

forgoodorill

Chinese
    Thanks, dojibear! it's very useful! I thought programmar is a cool profession when I was a kid until I sucks at math.(We can't choose this major as a student in humanity):oops:

Andygc

British English
    There are two unrelated things here. The cartoon and the comment. The cartoon image isn't a meme, it's a joke. The police chief spots that the suspect codes on a bright (not white) background, so decides he is a serial killer, but a better clue is that the room is full of skeletons, bloodstains and weapons, which he appears not to have noticed.

The comment was, presumably, made by somebody who uses a bright background and is suggesting that people who use a dark background make mistakes.

It's even less side-splitting when it needs to be explained.

< Previous | Next >