The building of our house is very spacious.

• Roymalika

Punjabi
    Other than the fact that it is completely unnatural, and does not convey the intended meaning?
    Why does it not convey the intended meaning? A building is a building. A house is a house. They are different things: a building is a physical structure on a piece of land. A house is a place where we live.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Our house is spacious.

Our house is a spacious building.

Our house has a spacious design.

The design of our house is spacious.

We are building a spacious house.

But the sentence as given doesn't make sense. We tend to use house for anything single family residential and never call a house s building. We call everything else a building including apartment buildings.

Andygc

British English
    Why does it not convey the intended meaning?
    You have already been told why.
    A house is a place where we live.
    Is it? I look out of my window at the buildings around me. They are all houses. None is the place where I live. One of the many meanings of "house" is "a building used as a dwelling".

The building of our house is very spacious.
    The building of our building used as a dwelling is very spacious.

Now do you see?

Barque

Tamil
    They are different things: a building is a physical structure on a piece of land. A house is a place where we live.
    If you think they're different things, why did you use them together?

(And they aren't always. All houses are (generally) buildings. All buildings aren't houses.)

It means the structure (containing roof, walls) of our house.
    I understand what you mean, but that isn't the right way to put it. If "The building of our house" means anything at all, it's "The process of building of our house...", with "building" used as a gerund, but it's still unnatural, and it wouldn't make much sense to call a process spacious.

Roymalika

Punjabi
    I know understand what the problem with "the building of our house" is. But I don't understand how a "building" can be spacious? A courtyard can be spacious, a lawn can be spacious, a playground can be spacious, but how can a "building" be?

Barque

Tamil
    Elizabeth has a large house with spacious rooms. She rides a bicycle to get from bed to bathroom.

I have a small bedroom, not spacious at all. If I trip when I get out of bed, I fall head-first into the bathroom.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I don't understand how a "building" can be spacious? A courtyard can be spacious, a lawn can be spacious, a playground can be spacious, but how can a "building" be?
    It's hard to understand what's confusing you, Roymalika. Here is the first definition of "spacious" from the WR dictionary:

containing much space; roomy
    a spacious old home with high ceilings.

Roymalika

Punjabi
    When we use the word 'spacious', we refer to the area of the ground. For example, we have two rooms A and B. In room A, 25 chairs can be kept. While in room B, 50 chairs can be kept. Which room is spacious? Room B. :thumbsup:
    But
    We talk of a building in terms of height, eg, we say the height of this building is 150 meters. How can height be 'spacious'? We think of a building as a "vertical thing". How can a vertical thing be 'spacious'?

Myridon

English - US
    When we use the word 'spacious', we refer to the area of the ground.
    No. That's not entirely true. Having a high ceiling makes a room seem larger. A room with a very low ceiling would not seem spacious no matter how much area it covers.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    When we use the word 'spacious', we refer to the area of the ground. For example, we have two rooms A and B. In room A, 25 chairs can be kept. While in room B, 50 chairs can be kept. Which room is spacious? Room B. :thumbsup:
    But
    We talk of a building in terms of height, eg, we say the height of this building is 150 meters. How can height be 'spacious'? We think of a building as a "vertical thing". How can a vertical thing be 'spacious'?
    In English we use spacious to describe both the outside grounds and the inside dimensions of a building.

Spacious means more than just the square footage of the building. It also means that there is the feeling of a lot of space, so probably large rooms or in a modern house, an open plan. It wouldn't apply to a large house with many small rooms.

Spacious is a word we apply to the experience of the inside dimensions of a building.

We do not call the outside dimensions of a building spacious. We would describe the outside of a building as tall, or large, or covering a certain amount of square feet (or meters).

It is only the interior that can be spacious, and it's possible for part of a building to be spacious but other parts not

The hotel had a spacious lobby and a huge dining room, but we slept on the 5th floor in tiny, cramped rooms.

Barque

Tamil
    When we use the word 'spacious', we refer to the area of the ground.
    Yes. A building has floor space too. A large building has more floor space inside than a small one, and is therefore more spacious than the small one.

Why don't you look at the dictionary, as you should before you ask questions about the meanings of words? This is a free resource for people with questions on English, so don't you think you should try and do some research of your own before rushing in to ask questions about definitions?

Note: A large building doesn't have to be a tall one. It can be one covering a large area.

Last edited:

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    One problem with your original sentence is that on reading "The building of" I assumed you meant "The process of erecting/constructing" e.g. The building of my house took 18 months to complete.

Myridon

English - US
    One problem with your original sentence is that on reading "The building of" I assumed you meant "The process of erecting/constructing" e.g. The building of my house took 18 months to complete.
    Perhaps you mean "The building we live in is very spacious."

Do you live in an apartment building?
    The part about "building of our house" was fully discussed at the beginning of the thread. Let's not go in a circle. ;)

< Previous | Next >