the bulb doesn't have electricity

< Previous | Next >

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello, everyone:

In an elementary school's science lab, one student asked the teacher: I have turned on the switch but the bulb is still not on, what's wrong? The teacher answered: "The bulb is not on because it doesn't have electricity, you forgot to connect the battery." (I made up these words)

Is it good to use "the bulb doesn't have electricity" here?
(I googled this sentence but only got two results)

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    That remark seems okay to me, ridgemao. I would probably say "The bulb won't come on because it isn't getting any power/electricity."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "It doesn't have electricity" would certainly be understood, but it doesn't sound idiomatic at all for this context.
    It's something I might say about a house that isn't connected to the public supply.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    While it's technically correct, it's an extremely odd thing to say in my opinion. :(

I'd expect the teacher to say something like "Perhaps it's faulty" and/or "Are you sure you've connected the battery?"

dojibear

AE (US English)
    I'd expect the teacher to say something like "Perhaps it's faulty" and/or "Are you sure you've connected the battery?"
    In a different situation, yes. But this teacher is not asking what the problem is. This teacher knows what the problem is.

In an elementary school's science lab, one student asked the teacher: I have turned on the switch but the bulb is still not on, what's wrong? The teacher answered: "The bulb is not on because it doesn't have electricity, you forgot to connect the battery." (I made up these words)
    In this context (a school lab experiment, where a standalone light bulb and switch are connected to a battery by hand using wires) these words seem normal to me.

london calling

UK English
    It doesn't have electricity sounds extremely odd to me as well. If I were the teacher I'd say that there's no power/because it isn't connected up to the battery, or something along those lines.

< Previous | Next >