The burden to be uncorrupted when push comes to shove

CuervoGold

Spanish - Spain
Hi again,

One last question about this song (Clem Snide - "Emily").

"Oh Emily I can see deep down we both agree
everyone just wants to be loved
but our soul's never free from the burden to be
uncorrupted
when push comes to shove
"

I'm finding it difficult to translate the highlighted verses. Here's my try:

"Pero nuestra alma nunca está libre ¿del peso que supone permanecer incorrupto? cuando las cosas se ponen difíciles". (Nevertheless, "el peso de ser incorrupto" would be "the burden of being uncorrupted", am I right?)

I'm not sure if I'm understanding them right. You can explain them to me in English and I'll do my best to translate them into Spanish.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
  • S.V.

Español, México
    Todos queremos ser amados,
    pero se aferra el alma a no ser
    herida, cuando llega el momento.
    From the other lines regarding "not... change," "frightened inside," "our walls," then Hedgehog's Dilemma, etc. //"I fear being hurt" → "I fear my soul being 'corrupted' by others" (& therefore I am not loved); c. la carga de ser perfecto, pero con ~incorrupto.

Last edited:

CuervoGold

Spanish - Spain
    Hi S.V.!

Thank you for your help. I still have a question. "La carga o el peso de ser incorrupto" should be translated as:

a) The burden of being incorrupted

b) The burden to be incorrupted (that's the one the singer chooses).

Are both grammatically correct? Do they mean the same?

S.V.

Español, México
    Hello. I can't speak for natives, but if you search for ex. "burden to be a", "burden to be the" (the " " included), you find examples from newspapers & the like. From NewYorker.com:

It's an odd burden to be the one left standing [...]​
    It must be a great burden to be cursed with such clear vision [...]​
    [...] and I mean it would be a real burden to be that mentally acute [...]​

With being, yours sounds 'simultaneous' to me; i.e. at a vulnerable moment that would lead to love, >because the soul is uncorrupted... instead of >because it has to be uncorrupted. As in the burden to be perfect I feel I need to be perfect & act this way, keep appearances, do what is expected of me, etc. So it's not "this happens, because I am perfect" but rather our attachment to the ideal & its consequences.

From there, it can go different ways. I'm not familiar with his personal philosophy, but it did not sound to me as love recquires corruption, but rather at that vulnerable moment, we feel as though it will be corrupted by others & close up, push them away, yell at them, etc.

CuervoGold

Spanish - Spain
    S.V.,

Muchas gracias por la explicación. Creo haberlo entendido bien. Parece, entonces, que existe tanto "the burden of + gerund" como "the burden + infinitive", y que el primero tiene un sentido de algo "simultáneo" y el segundo como de "futuro" (la carga de algo presente vs. la carga de algo futuro).

No sé si algún nativo nos lo puede confirmar. Ya no tanto por traducir la canción (que la puedo traducir de varias maneras y me parece que todas estarían medianamente bien, gracias a las explicaciones de S.V.) como para entender la construcción correcta de esa frase, "the burden of../ the burden to..."

Last edited: