The call to this API

< Previous | Next >

ReverLL

Korean
Hello Guys,

I don't understand this sentenece

"The call to this API must have the authorized entity set to your app server's sender ID

There are the number of two, I don't understand

1. The call to this API
- The call to this API -> what does it mean?,
could you show me some examples to understand easily?
it's like "Noun" to "Noun",
I haven't ever seen like this before, though i'm not eloquent English speaker

2. the authorized entity set to your app server's sender ID
- i don't get, what does "set to" means in this sentence
and also i don't understand the entire above sentence

"A" must have "the authorized entitiy".
this is summary sentence as far as i can, isn't it?

and set to your app server's sender ID is kind of Adjective phrase. Right?
if it is, plz answer for me. yes, or no

and help me out, to understand this

Maybe it's easy for you to understand above sentence, but i feel tricky

• Procol

British English
    Hi
    An attempted explanation... "The (phone) call to this API must have the entity (that is authorized) set (configured with) you app server's send ID." Does that help?

ReverLL

Korean
    Hi
    An attempted explanation... "The (phone) call to this API must have the entity (that is authorized) set (configured with) you app server's send ID." Does that help?

Hi Procol
    Thank you for Replying :):)

I think the sentence you explain is a bit different from the original meaning.

The full of Paragraph is ..

To register with GCM:
    1. The client app obtains a registration token using the Instance ID API. The call to this API must have the authorized entity set to your app server's sender ID, and the scope set to the appropriate value for GCM (depending on your platform). Refer to the API reference for full detail on this API.

What do you say?

Andygc

British English
    You need to start by explaining your context which is, presumably, something to do with computer programming. You could read this short thread found by searching for "API" - "...an API that, for example, Office calls" That deals with "call".
    And look up the initialism API to find the meaning "application programming (also program) interface".
    When something is "set to" it is given a value. A railway signal can be set to "off" or "on".

ReverLL

Korean
    You need to start by explaining your context which is, presumably, something to do with computer programming. You could read this short thread found by searching for "API" - "...an API that, for example, Office calls" That deals with "call".
    And look up the initialism API to find the meaning "application programming (also program) interface".
    When something is "set to" it is given a value. A railway signal can be set to "off" or "on".

Hi Andygc

I don't still understand

"App server's sender ID is set by the authorized entitiy, which must be possesed by The call"

Yeah, this senetence would be awkward,
    but, Do i understand correctly ? comparing with original sentence

Andygc

British English
    Trying to help you to understand "The call to this API must have the authorized entity set to your app server's sender ID" is difficult without knowing what you do understand. You still have not confirmed that it refers to computer programming.

To understand the sentence you need to know:
    What an "API" is.
    What a "call" is.
    What the writer means by "the authorized entity".
    What an "app server" is.
    What a "sender ID" is.
    Which of those things do you know?

ReverLL

Korean
    Trying to help you to understand "The call to this API must have the authorized entity set to your app server's sender ID" is difficult without knowing what you do understand. You still have not confirmed that it refers to computer programming.

To understand the sentence you need to know:
    What an "API" is.
    What a "call" is.
    What the writer means by "the authorized entity".
    What an "app server" is.
    What a "sender ID" is.
    Which of those things do you know?
    Yes it is computer programming

API : API is Instance ID API
    call : I think "Call" is to call method in the given API
    the authorized entity : I don't know actually what "the authorized entity" exactly means
    app server : "app server" is that i'm making, so i can understand by myself
    sender ID : "sender id" is sender ID,

Actually, i think the point is grammar
    So could you answer for me bellow?

First, in "the call to this API", what is subject?, "the call" is subject?
    Second, if the call is subject, then summarized sentence could be "the call must have the authorized entity", couldn't it?
    Third, "the authorized entity" set to "one's ID", still don't understand, can you explain this sentence another way?

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    The call must have "x". Yes, "the call" is the subject of "must have".
    The call includes some sort of flag or token (the authorized entity). That must be set to the "sender ID".
    If your app's sender ID is "AAFFEEDD" then the call to the API must have its "authorized entity" set to "AAFFEEDD". If the call doesn't have its "authorized entity" set to "AAFFEEDD" the call will not be accepted. ("... must have the its authorized entity set to ...)

The sentence doesn't mean that the call must have an authorized entity (it assumes that you already know that an authorized entity is part of a call to the API), it tells you what the value of that authorized entity has to be (the server's sender ID).

Subject -The call to this API
    Verb - must have
    Object - its the authorized entity set to your app server's sender ID

ReverLL

Korean
    The call must have "x". Yes, "the call" is the subject of "must have".
    The call includes some sort of flag or token (the authorized entity). That must be set to the "sender ID".
    If your app's sender ID is "AAFFEEDD" then the call to the API must have its "authorized entity" set to "AAFFEEDD". If the call doesn't have its "authorized entity" set to "AAFFEEDD" the call will not be accepted. ("... must have the its authorized entity set to ...)

The sentence doesn't mean that the call must have an authorized entity (it assumes that you already know that an authorized entity is part of a call to the API), it tells you what the value of that authorized entity has to be (the server's sender ID).

Subject -The call to this API
    Verb - must have
    Object - its the authorized entity set to your app server's sender ID

Really, Thank you for answering

in this sentence, "have" could be replaced by "let"?

< Previous | Next >