the cardio protective effects of alcohol?

Alcihol is the drog of choice for Canadians, with 60% of Ontario adults consuming alcohol at least a monthly basis. The direct and indirect costs to society of alcohol abuse are substantial: $5,3 billion in Ontario alone, second only to the social burden of tobacco. This burden takes into effect the cardio protective effects of alcohol, which, unlike its link to cancer, has received a great deal of public attention.

I think there must be something wrong with the red part, if so, would you please help me to put it right?

Many thanks in advance.

• AngelEyes

English - United States
    This burden takes into effect the cardio protective effects of alcohol,
    If I understand correctly what you're asking, this part in red is referring to the heart-healthy benefits of drinking red wine in moderation.

red wine

Cardio-protective means here that drinking a bit of red wine every day is actually beneficial to your heart.

AngelEyes

Matching Mole

England, English
    Alcihol is the drog of choice for Canadians, with 60% of Ontario adults consuming alcohol at least a monthly basis. The direct and indirect costs to society of alcohol abuse are substantial: $5,3 billion in Ontario alone, second only to the social burden of tobacco. This burden takes into effect the cardio protective effects of alcohol, which, unlike its link to cancer, has received a great deal of public attention.

I think there must be something wrong with the red part, if so, would you please help me to put it right?

Many thanks in advance.
    Could you explain why you think there must be something wrong with it?

There is one thing: "cardio protective" is incorrect, as "cardio" is not a word, it's a prefix, so it is either cardio-protective or cardioprotective.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Don't you all think it should be:

"This burden takes into account the cardio protective effects of alcohol,
    " ?

I have difficulty understanding "takes into effect".

Cagey

English - US
    I would also have used 'account' rather than 'effect,' but since so many people didn't seem bothered by it, perhaps it's just a variation that's acceptable in some places.
    Perhaps it is. However, I can find no definition of effect that seems to fit this context.

KHS

COCA (360 million word corpus) had once instance of 'take into effect':
    " The bill didn't even take into effect the physical health. "

and one for 'taken into effect'
    some policies are written on an actual cash value, and depreciation is taken into effect. "

Ditto the 100 million word BNC subcorpus - one instance ot 'take into effect':
    Yes there are certain considerations that obviously we take er we take into effect .

So, it's hanging around at the edges, but obviously not all that common.

Cagey

English - US
    [....]
    So, it's hanging around at the edges, but obviously not all that common.
    Really? Three instances among all those words would be counted as "hanging around the edges"?

I would see them to be more likely to be explainable as conflations of "take effect" and "take into account", perhaps encouraged by the fact that "taking into account the effect(s)" is often found in similar contexts.

In the particular instance we are discussing, "effect" seems to have crept in under the influence of "effects" three words away. In fact, "take into effect the cardio- protective effects" seems to me in itself an unfortunate repetition, meaning aside.

KHS

I looked in a couple more corpora, and it 'take effect' keeps turning up in print media which are normally considered to use "standard" English - one instance here, another there. So, yes, I do think one perspective might be that it is hanging around the edges.

< Previous | Next >