The cast includes AB, CD, EF, [and others]

susanna76

Romanian
Hi there,

I'm writing something about a film, and am wondering if "and others" at the end of a sentence with "includes" is superfluous.

For instance,
The cast includes Isabelle Adjani, Gérard Depardieu, Juliette Binoche, and others.

It would look weird without and ending, so if I can't use "and others," how should I phrase the whole thing?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    For the purpose of writing about a film/play/etc., the names given "The cast includes Isabelle Ajdani, Gérard Depardieu, Juliette Binoche," are actors the reader might be expected to recognise, whereas "and others" would simply acknowledge that there are other actors as well.

The idea is that by naming well-known actors, the public will be encouraged to see the film and the "and others" is added for fairness and balance. The whole phrase is pretty standard and I would leave it as it is.

Invictus7

English-Australian
    I would say that "and others" is superfluous as the use of "includes" acknowledges that you are not listing the whole cast, only a part of it. Without "and others", the sentence should read: "The cast includes AB, CD, EF and GH."

susanna76

Romanian
    Thank you, PaulQ, Biffo, and Invictus7. I think I prefer using "among others" than nothing at all in certain cases. Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >