the cheatin' side of town

piraña utria

Spanish - Colombian with Caribbean nuanc
Good evening:

I’m listening and reading simultaneously its lyrics, “Lying Eyes” by The Eagles (available in many web sites such as http://www.lyrics007.com/Eagles Lyrics/Lying Eyes Lyrics.html).

These lines are an excerpt:

So she tells him she must go out for the evening
To comfort an old friend who's feelin' down
But he knows where she's goin' as she's leavin'
She is headed for the cheatin' side of town
You can't hide your lying eyes

Based on this extract and the whole lyrics world also, is the underlined expression a polite or poetic way to call a city district/division where the prostitution can be practice? Or are the artists referring in general terms to any sort of place which could be use to affair’s encounter?

I’m proving whether I’ve understood or not its story;).

Thanks in advance for your answers,

• Martes

English- American
    Hello! I grew up listening to that song and I have always understood it to mean that the women in reference is going out with the intention of visiting the person she is having an affair with, or at least to look for someone to have an affair with. I do not believe that it actually refers to any particular place, but rather her intentions.

She is not a prostitute, nor is her paramour. She is instead an adultress (adultery being commonly called "cheating".) The reference is not to any particular part of a city (for adultery can be committed anywhere), but rather to the neighborhood (probably not her own) where she can carry on her affair with less likelihood of discovery by her husband.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I agree. It's any place you go to meet your lover.

And I have to share this.

In the radio biz, when this song was popular, this was known as a great "potty song." It's over six minutes long, and whenever you were on the air and needed to "go", you played this tune because it gave you plenty of time to get it all done and be back and on the air when the song was through.

:D :D :D

AngelEyes