the check/cheque is void

Mnemon

Persian - پارسی - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
Hello there,

Is the following sentence natural to you?

The check/cheque is void.

Can the word "void" be used in the sense of "not valid" in the above-mentioned context? I am already familiar with this use of "void", however I have only seen this usage regarding "contract" or "official agreement". what do you think about it?

Thank you!

• lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, a cheque (BE) or check (AE) can be rendered void, or invalid (pronounced with the stress on the 2nd syllable), or it can be said to have been invalidated.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    In AE, it can also be said to have been "voided." (One common way of doing this is by writing "VOID" across it in large letters. This is often done when one has to submit a blank check to someone so that they can copy your account information from it, for instance a lender who will make regular withdrawals from this account to pay back the loan.)

Mnemon

Persian - پارسی - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    There is still another question,

The check/cheque is void.
    As far as I know, here "void" is being used as an adjective, however some websites preferred to write "voided" (use "voided" as an adjective). which one is idiomatic and natural? Is there any difference?

1_ The check/cheque is void. ---> It is a void check/cheque

2_ The check/cheque is voided. ----> It is a voided check/cheque

Thanks!

lingobingo

English - England
    They both sound weird. It would be more natural to say “the check is void” or “the check has been voided”. Both of those are fine.

< Previous | Next >