The children will have gone back to school by September.

eugenioandreev

Russian
Hello,

"The children will have gone back to school by September."
Is it correct to simplify this sentence by replacing 'will have gone back' with 'will go back'?:
"The children will go back to school by September."
In my opinion, it'll sound all right.

Now let's suppose we have added some information:
"I'll have more free time after September because the children will have gone back to school by then."
Would it be correct to replace 'will have gone back' by 'will go back' in this sentence? Something is telling me that we'd rather not do that.
What do you you think?

Thank you very much.

• lingobingo

English - England
    No, you can’t replace it in that sentence as it stands:

I'll have more free time after September because the children will have gone back to school by then. :tick:

I'll have more free time after September because the children will go back to school by then. :cross:

I'll have more free time in October because the children will go back to school before then. :tick:

I'll have more free time after the children go back to school in September. :tick:

Last edited:

eugenioandreev

Russian
    Excuse me, there's no mark next to "I'll have more free time in October because the children will go back to school before then. " Is it a red cross or a green tick?

eugenioandreev

Russian
    I'm sorry, but can you explain to me why
    "I'll have more free time after September because the children will go back to school by then." :cross: is incorrect
    and
    "I'll have more free time in October because the children will go back to school before then." :tick: is correct?
    I fail to spot any difference.:confused:

< Previous | Next >