The Chinatown was built on the money allocated by Chinese bu

< Previous | Next >

sharkee

Banned
Mexican Spanish
Hi,

The other day I read a newspaper article about the Chinatown in Moscow and it occured to me to think how exactly I'd say that the Chinatown appeared after some Chinese businessmen had allocated money for its construction. I've ended with the following expression:

The Chinatown was built on the money allocated by Chinese businessmen

However I have a hunch that "on" is wrong here. Which preposition would you use? Maybe it's necessary to perephrase the sentence?

Regards

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Your hunch is wrong - on is good usage.

However, more idiomatic would be, The Chinatown was built on the money allocated by of Chinese businessmen. Allocated sounds as if the Chinese businessmen each gave a specific amount of their money, whereas you probably mean that it was Chinese money (in general) that built Chinatown.

There are Chinatowns all over the world - they do not usually have an article.

sharkee

Banned
    Mexican Spanish
    Paul, thanks for confirming that "on" is correct. Concerning "allocated by" I still think I was right because I meant that several Chinese businessmen gave money for the construction, though your option is also logical. As regards the article I thought it was needed when speaking about a particular Chinatown in a particular city. I perceive "Chinatown" as a type of place rather than a specific location.

Your hunch is wrong - on is good usage.

However, more idiomatic would be, The Chinatown was built on the money allocated by of Chinese businessmen. Allocated sounds as if the Chinese businessmen each gave a specific amount of their money, whereas you probably mean that it was Chinese money (in general) that built Chinatown.

There are Chinatowns all over the world - they do not usually have an article.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'd refer to it as "Moscow's Chinatown". I didn't know, until now, that Moscow had one, but here in the US, one will often see references to "New York's Chinatown" or "San Francisco's Chinatown".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I agree with Parla. However, if the article is about Moscow's Chinatown, sunsequent mentions will not require Moscow's or an article.

(As you see by my suggestions, I'm surprised at the meaning and the financing by specific businessmen as an investment, Chinatowns usually "just grow" :))

< Previous | Next >