The city of Venice has been influenced from Oriental people

< Previous | Next >

mickey0

italian (northern)
The city of Venice has been influenced from Oriental people

Hello,
everytime I run into this kind of sentence, I struggle on whether to use 'from Oriental people' or 'by Oriental people'. Which is fine? And possibly, why? (you can just give me a pointer where to find it. Actually, I don't know what looking for )

THanks.

• pob14

American English
    It's the way the passive voice works.

Dogs chase cats.
    Cats are chased by dogs.

If we said they were chased from dogs, that would mean that something else was doing the chasing, but that they were being chased in such a way as to cause them to move away from the dogs.

Therefore:

Oriental people have influenced Venice.
    Venice has been influenced by Oriental people.

As a side note, many in the US find "Oriental" (in reference to people) offensive, and use Asian instead.

mickey0

italian (northern)
    Thanks.

<Thanks. So "chased from dogs" just means, for example, that somebody took the cats away from dogs because (for instance) the cats were in danger of life. Is this?>

I suppose that I can also say: "Venice has been influenced by Asian culture" ???

EDIT- I didn't undertand in which way somebody else could chasing dogs...

Last edited by a moderator:

pob14

American English
    Thanks. So "chased from dogs" just means, for example, that somebody took the cats away from dogs because (for instance) the cats were in danger of life. Is this?
    Is it what? :D It's not really something one would commonly say, but it's what I would guess the meaning to be if someone did say it. The cats were chased [away] from the dogs by their owner, who was afraid they'd get bitten. It would sound better with the "away" in there.

I suppose that I can also say: "Venice has been influenced by Asian culture" ???
    That sounds perfectly natural to me.

< Previous | Next >