The Civil War was more devastating <and/as well as> exhausting than any others wars in...

nosaijin

Taiwanese Mandarin
The Civil War was more devastating <and/as well as> exhausting than any others wars in...
[Topic sentence added to post. DonnyB - moderator]

Hello:

As shown in the title I encountered this multiple choice question with two possible options: and and as well as.

From some previous threads I do realize these two words are not always equivalent, and I have no problem with and ,

but I just couldn't figure out why as well as is not possible here.

What do you think? Is it really grammatically incorrect in this question? Or is it more of an collocation issue? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    it was devastating and exhausting = it was both

it was devastating as well as exhausting = it was devastating in addition to being exhausting

= It was exhausting, and devastating too
    = it was not only exhausting but [also] devastating
    “As well as” is not possible in your sentence (at least, not without some judicious editing) because of the use of “more than”.

nosaijin

Taiwanese Mandarin
    “As well as” is not possible in your sentence (at least, not without some judicious editing) because of the use of “more than”.
    Sorry, I don't quite understand why the use of "more than" makes it impossible.

Or should the sentence go like: "The Civil War was more devastating as well as more exhausting than..." ?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As shown in the title
    You should not use the title as an example because, as here, there is no full sentence.

If you put the as well as phrase in parentheses, it works but the parenthesis cause the whole phrase to be de-emphasized and to act as an aside:
    The Civil War was more devastating (as well as more exhausting) than any others wars in...
    The Civil War was more devastating, as well as more exhausting, than any others wars in...

The use of "more devastating and exhausting" gives equal force to both attributes.

nosaijin

Taiwanese Mandarin
    You should not use the title as an example because, as here, there is no full sentence.
    My bad...I'll do better next time I've got a question.

If you put the as well as phrase in parentheses, it works but the parenthesis cause the whole phrase to be de-emphasized and to act as an aside:
    The use of "more devastating and exhausting" gives equal force to both attributes.
    I know "as well as" makes the phrase de-emphasized, but it still works (as you mentioned), doesn't it?

nosaijin

Taiwanese Mandarin
    And that's what confused me...The sentence works with as well as, but it can't be chosen for the answer?

lingobingo

English - England
    As I said, your sentence needs some judicious editing (in addition to correcting “others wars”) in order to use “as well as” rather than “and”. Note that Paul not only made the “as well as” part parenthetical, he also instinctively repeated the word “more”.

The Civil War was …
    more devastating and exhausting than any other :tick::thumbsup:
    more devastating as well as exhausting than any other :cross:
    more devastating, as well as more exhausting, than any other :tick::thumbsup:

nosaijin

Taiwanese Mandarin
    Note that Paul not only made the “as well as” part parenthetical, he also instinctively repeated the word “more”.

The Civil War was …
    more devastating and exhausting than any other :tick::thumbsup:
    more devastating as well as exhausting than any other :cross:
    more devastating, as well as more exhausting, than any other :tick::thumbsup:
    That's exactly the answer to what I was asking in #3. Thank you (PaulQ too)for making this clear! Now I see why as well as is wrong.

< Previous | Next >