The claims of international banks

osvi

spanish
Hi there!

I wanted to know what "bank claims" are.

I've seen it in the following sentence: "The claims of international banks held up well during the Covid-19 crisis, although economic output fell by even more than during the Great Financial Crisis (GFC). Both cross-border and local claims were resilient"

I was wondering if it is something like "concesiones de préstamos"

thanks in advance, cheers

• Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    This is BIS (Bank of International Settlements) terminology for international lending that results in default or non-performing borrowers, and thus bank claims arise against those borrowers. It is another way of reporting statistics on defaulted loans.

”reclamaciones for incumplimiento de pago”

Regards,

je

osvi

spanish
    This is BIS (Bank of International Settlements) terminology for international lending that results in default or non-performing borrowers, and thus bank claims arise against those borrowers. It is another way of reporting statistics on defaulted loans.

”reclamaciones for incumplimiento de pago”

Regards,

je
    Dear Joe Esquirre, first of all thank you for your response. Although, if that is the case, then the paper I read doesn't make any sense for me. Please check this out, because according to this, the definition of "concesión de préstamos" makes way more sense. Though for sure, I'm not that familiar as you may be with BIS terminology...

Foreign claims on the private non-financial sector - a gauge of direct lending to the "real economy" - also remained robust. Through mid-2020, they fell by 0.5% year on year. This decline pales in comparison with that at the onset of the GFC, when foreign claims on private non-banks fell by 11.8% year on year through end-2008.3 This suggests that, in contrast to the GFC, banks served as a reliable first line of defence. Aided by swift policy action, they helped to mitigate economic stress in the pandemic's early stages (BIS (2020)).

The thing is that for me, makes no sense to be talking about reduction of "reclamaciones por incumplimiento de impago" in the midst of the Great Recession...

Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    I m not familiar with your specific paper, but BIS reports statistics of different types. If the context of your paper appears to indicate that the “claims” pertain to general credit outstanding, irrespective of risk rating (whether defaulted or not), then a better translation would be “créditos pendientes”.

[Nevertheless, in a legal sense, such do not represent claims, but only receivables.]

See below link for explanation of default reporting

Regards,

je
    QIS 3 FAQ: F. Definition of Default/Loss

Last edited: