The class meets four times a week

utente

American English
Ciao,
I am trying to say that a class I wanted to take meets 4 times a week. I think that "classe" is right, but maybe it's "lezione".

Also, I'm never sure about prepositions. I can only think of "a settimana".

Does anybody have a better alternative?

Grazie,
Steven

First try: La classe incontra quattro volte a settimana.

Or?: La lezione incontra quattro volte a settimana.

Or, is there a different preposition insttead of a?

Last edited:
  • Darioo1

italiano
    Hi Steven,
    La classe incontra quattro volte a settimana
    doesn't make sense to me.
    La preposizione "a" é corretta oppure "alla" settimana.
    Dario

Franshyska

Italiano
    Il corso si tiene quattro volte la settimana /a settimana / alla settimana
    Questa secondo me è la più adatta anche perché va bene per un po' qualsiasi contesto (un corso all'università, un corso privato di lettura/arte/lingue/ecc..., un corso di tennis/pallavolo/golf/ecc...). Un'alternativa potrebbe essere "la lezione si tiene quattro volte a settimana / la settimana / alla settimana".
    "La classe si incontra / si riunisce quattro volte a settimana" è corretta ma non può essere usata in modo generico come la prima

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Hi :)
    If we're talking about a lesson (@utente, are we talking about a lesson here ?), not sure I'd say 'la classe si incontra/si riunisce' o_O as this sounds as if the students meet but not necessarily for a lesson ;)
    I'm inclined to agree with Franshyska's suggestion la lezione si tiene quattro volte a settimana / la settimana / alla settimana

utente

American English
    Hi :)
    If we're talking about a lesson (@utente, are we talking about a lesson here ?), not sure I'd say 'la classe si incontra/si riunisce' o_O as this sounds as if the students meet but not necessarily for a lesson ;)
    I'm inclined to agree with Franshyska's suggestion la lezione si tiene quattro volte a settimana / la settimana / alla settimana
    I'm not familiar with tenersi in that context. I looked it up on the wordreference dictionary, but still don't understand it in this sentence. Can you help?

thanks,

Steven

utente

American English
    Hai ragione, it doesn't make any sense. But it makes sense indeed if you say: "la classe (meaning the students) si incontra (si riunisce would be better) 4 volte a settimana"
    Do you mean that si incontra makes more sense because we're talking about the students (also the teacher), not the lesson itself? Is that why you suggest the reflexive form?

thanks,
    Steven

rrose17

Canada, English
    I'm not a native speaker of Italian by any means but I believe the verb incontrare in Italian is different from to meet in English. Incontrare is transitive, it takes an object. You have to incontrare qualcuno o qualcosa. But if you make it reflexive you are meeting each other.

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    I'm not a native speaker of Italian by any means but I believe the verb incontrare in Italian is different from to meet in English. Incontrare is transitive, it takes an object. You have to incontrare qualcuno o qualcosa. But if you make it reflexive you are meeting each other.
    That's correct.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    I'm not familiar with tenersi in that context. I looked it up on the wordreference dictionary, but still don't understand it in this sentence. Can you help?
    The closest meaning of "tenere" in this context is (from the WR dictionary).

tenere vtr (organizzare) hold vtr (colloquial) throw, have vtr
    We're throwing a party for him next week.

If something (usually an event, a meeting, etc) "si tiene", then "it is held".

Le elezioni si tengono ogni X anni.
    Elections are held every X years.

You probably wouldn't say that a class "is held", but hopefully you understand the meaning of "si tiene" as suggested by Pietruzzo.

Darioo1

italiano
    Aggiungo "si ritrova",la classe si ritrova 4 volte alla settimana.
    "Si ritrova" si può tradurre con get together?

< Previous | Next >