The closest + (대명사) + get(활용형)

actively

English - American
안녕하세요~

오랜만에 찾아뵙게 되었습니다.
제가 제목에 쓴 표현을 한국어로 번역하려고 하는데 아무리 시도해 보아도 제가 원하는 만큼의 간결함과 자연스러움이 나타나지 않네요 ㅠ

자세하게 말씀 드리면 제가 장난투로 친구에게 연예인과 같은 시각, 같은 도시에 있었다고 이야기하면서
"... so that's probably the closest I'll ever get to actually meeting a celebrity"라고 했어요

이 맥락에서 "the closest <대명사> get" 이라고 표현할 때
저는 "그게 연예인을 실제로 만나는 것에 가장 근접한 것일 거야"라고 번역하긴 했지만
원어민이 듣기엔 더 보편적이고 자연스러운 말이 있을까요?

미리 감사 드립니다!

• pcy0308

Korean
    Hello actively,
    Your translation is quite natural, and better yet it is true to the literal meaning of the given sentence. Your Korean translation of "the closest ... can get" is also on spot. "그게 (내가) 연예인을 실제로 만나는 것에 가장 근접한 것일 거야" (if you wanted it to sound more colloquial, "그게 (내가) 실제로 연예인 만나는 것에 제일 근접한 걸껄?" Of course, it is a rhetorical question.)

Since your interpretation is quite clear and accurate, if I were to suggest an alternative, I'd do so while changing the literal sense of the sentence just a tiny bit but still making sure to get the point across. "아마 그게 (내가) 연예인(을) 볼 수 있는 유일한 기회일 걸?" (I suppose that's the only chance I'll get to meet a celebrity). There definitely is a subtle difference in its nuance but given what the joke originally intends to convey, the alternative still gets the same point across (that it is the closest the speaker will ever get to meeting a celebrity). Hope this helps.

actively

English - American
    Hello actively,
    Your translation is quite natural, and better yet it is true to the literal meaning of the given sentence. Your Korean translation of "the closest ... can get" is also on spot. "그게 (내가) 연예인을 실제로 만나는 것에 가장 근접한 것일 거야" (if you wanted it to sound more colloquial, "그게 (내가) 실제로 연예인 만나는 것에 제일 근접한 걸껄?" Of course, it is a rhetorical question.)

Since your interpretation is quite clear and accurate, if I were to suggest an alternative, I'd do so while changing the literal sense of the sentence just a tiny bit but still making sure to get the point across. "아마 그게 (내가) 연예인(을) 볼 수 있는 유일한 기회일 걸?" (I suppose that's the only chance I'll get to meet a celebrity). There definitely is a subtle difference in its nuance but given what the joke originally intends to convey, the alternative still gets the same point across (that it is the closest the speaker will ever get to meeting a celebrity). Hope this helps.
    감사합니다!

< Previous | Next >