the cognizant dean

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "the cognizant dean" mean "the knowledgeable and well-experienced dean"?

Vice Provost and Dean of Research
This office recommends and promulgates new research policy and oversees implementation and exceptions. As the cognizant dean, this office oversees the program scope, direction, administration, and resources for the independent laboratories, institutes, and centers which operate outside school boundaries. As a university officer, the dean acts as a senior advisor to the president and provost in a broad array of academic issues beyond research.

Source: Stanford University Vice Provost and Dean of Research | DoResearch

• kentix

English - U.S.
    I would say it's effectively a synonym for "responsible" in this context. That's not in the dictionary entry.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    No, it's a formal title (Cognizant Dean) and the adjective has legal overtones.

I suspect they've added the adjective to lend tone to the title.
    He's the Dean of Research, implying that there are other deans. He's the dean who is cognizant in the field of research; other deans are presumably cognizant in other areas.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    He's the Dean of Research, implying that there are other deans. He's the dean who is cognizant in the field of research; other deans are presumably cognizant in other areas.
    This may all be true but it doesn't tell us what the word 'cognizant' is adding.

I'm curious to know. At my university the word isn't used.

< Previous | Next >