the coming-of-age journeys

Htmx99

Japanese
Hi. When I watched a TV show, I met a scene where a young writer explained her book.

It's just a multi-generational story following the coming-of-age journeys of a mother during the '70s, and her daughter in the early oughts, converging in modern day Queens.

I'm not sure what it means. A mother and her daughter turning 20 in 70s and early 2000s respectively joined together in the modern day as Queens??

Thank you.

• Htmx99

Japanese
    Thank you london calling! And I found my silly misunderstanding and laughed. I thought Queens is like Queen Elizabeth! How silly of me!
    Can I ask one more? What does "the coming of age" part? Thier journeys in 20s?

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's earlier than that. It probably refers to the time they were children and teenagers. When you are 18 you are considered legally an adult. That is approximately the age referred to in that phrase "coming of age". It means becoming a mature adult. Of course, it doesn't happen instantly at 18. It extends past that. But it begins well before that, certainly at the beginning of puberty or earlier, when people start to sexually develop and begin to form romantic feelings and adult thoughts. It's not just that, it's also learning how the world works in general and figuring out what your place in it will be as an adult. That begins in childhood and becomes a large part of the teenage years.

The mother went through that process in the 1970s. The daughter went through that process in the early 2000s. They both now live in the section of New York City known as Queens.

nightowl666

Mandarin
    In some countries, the coming of age is 21 years old. I think that's why the author says "their journey in their 20s. I guess your book may tell a story of Asian people (Koreans or Japanese?) There are a lot of Asian immigrants living in Queens, NYC.

nightowl666

Mandarin
    Where do you see that? I don't see that mentioned by the author. I think that is Htmx's question.
    “A mother and her daughter turning 20 in 70s and early 2000s respectively joined together in the modern day as Queens??” P#1
    "What does "the coming of age" part? Their journeys in 20s?" P#3

I think this is what Htmx recounted based on what she read in the book.