The commander-in-chief <has crossed> the Pacific Ocean when the telegram reaches him.

tracker890

Chinese
Dear Everyone:

Q:May I choice the item "(C)" for the answer?
If not, please say something about my wrong idea.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

• grassy

Polish
    No, I don't think so. If you want to indicate the action's completion by a certain point in time, you can use the future perfect: The commander-in-chief will have crossed the Pacific Ocean when the telegram reaches him.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Answer B is the one that the questioner wants. The continuous form of the verb allows two actions at the same time - a completed action (the simple form) and an incomplete action (the continuous)

Technically, C is correct also, but this uses the historical future. The historical future is used to bring immediacy to the sentence. It is formed by moving the verbs one tense forward (i.e. towards the future.) However, the historical future is not usually taught to students until they are quite advanced.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Note that answer A is also perfectly valid : if this is supposed to be a question where only one answer is correct it has been poorly designed

tracker890

Chinese
    Note that answer A is also perfectly valid : if this is supposed to be a question where only one answer is correct it has been poorly designed
    Dear Glasguensis:
    May I say as follows for the conclusion?
    The commander-in-chief is crossing the Pacific Ocean when the telegram reaches him.
    The commander-in-chief will cross the Pacific Ocean when the telegram reaches him.
    The commander-in-chief will be crossing the Pacific Ocean when the telegram reaches him.

Last edited:

tracker890

Chinese
    Answer B is the one that the questioner wants. The continuous form of the verb allows two actions at the same time - a completed action (the simple form) and an incomplete action (the continuous)

Technically, C is correct also, but this uses the historical future. The historical future is used to bring immediacy to the sentence. It is formed by moving the verbs one tense forward (i.e. towards the future.) However, the historical future is not usually taught to students until they are quite advanced.
    Thank you! :):thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >