The complete title should be capitalized.

< Previous | Next >

takashi0930

Japanese
If a manuscript submission rule says "The complete title should be capitalized" (like the following website), do you need to start every word in the title with a capital letter?

The 5th Korea-Japan NeuroRehabilitation Conference (Please see "Call for Abstracts", "Abstract Format".)

Or, would you still start short prepositions such as "of" and "on" with a lower case?

• owlman5

English-US
    I assume that they want normal capitalization, takishi, so prepositions wouldn't be capitalized.

However, it is possible that they meant exactly what they said and want you to capitalize every word in the title. You should write them directly and ask them if you need that information.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Looking at the titles for the plenary speakers already on the site, they want every letter in titles to be capitalized. I've seen this before, although in my experience it is relatively rare:D

takashi0930

Japanese
    Thank you.
    I'm not the author, so I'll recommend the author confirming them.

So, can "capitalize" mean either
    1. start a word with a capital letter or
    2. write every letter in a word in a capital letter
    depending on the context?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you.

It seems the answer is yes, with 1 being far more common than 2!

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thank you.

Yes, it can, though when we say we capitalize a proper noun/word, it is usually taken to mean capitalizing the first letter but that's just because capitalizing all the letters in words is rare, I think. But the word "capitalize" can mean either and in fact "capitalize the word 'New'" has a stronger case in favour of its meaning that all the letters in the word are to be capitalized.

Cross-posted

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I found that link through the original website. In any case, we now know that captialization can be either every letter, the first letter of each word or the firt letter of important words. It will be smart to check with the organizers:D

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    This title does not appear to capitalize each letter, nor does it capitalize prepositions:

>15:40-16:40
    • Symposium 2. New Era for Cognitive Rehabilitation<
    Better check with the people in charge. Wikipedia has decided that only the first word in the title of an article, except for proper nouns, are capitalized. I have no idea where they got this convention. It is not widely practiced in English in my experience.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I apologize if I caused some of this confusion - the link I provided in #5 was from the site of another upcoming NeuroRehabilitation Congress in May 2016:(.

The 9th World Congress for NeuroRehabilitation, WCNR 2016, will be held in Philadelphia on 10-13 May 2016.

Plenary Speakers

The WCNR 2016 Plenary Speakers are:
    John Donoghue, USA - THE PROMISE AND REALITY OF NEUROTECHNOLOGY TO RESTORE LOST FUNCTION
    WS: The titles are all in caps and the instructions do specify "upper case" for that one.
    13. Abstract title - limited to 20 words in UPPER CASE
    This won't change the consensus that the OP (or friend) should confirm with the organizers!

< Previous | Next >