the correct skeins of embroidery-silk

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "the correct skeins of embroidery-silk" means in the following sentences:

Ye Art Shoppe, Prop. Mrs. Mary Ellen Wilks, Christian Science Library open daily free. A touching fumble at beauty. A one-room shanty of boards recently covered with rough stucco. A show-window delicately rich in error: vases starting out to imitate tree-trunks but running off into blobs of gilt—an aluminum ash-tray labeled “Greetings from Gopher Prairie”—a Christian Science magazine—a stamped sofa-cushion portraying a large ribbon tied to a small poppy, the correct skeins of embroidery-silk lying on the pillow.

- Sinclair Lewis, Main Street, Chapter 4

Carol and Kennicott, the newly married, finally arrived at their new home at Gopher Prairie, Kennicott's hometown. Even before they unpacked their suitcases, however, Kennicott excused himself for an hour to see how the things were at his office (he was a country doctor). Left alone, Carol was dismayed, and gave up unpacking for a walk. Walking along the streets, she found Ye Art Shoppe.

In this part, I could not grasp how the skeins of embroidery-silk were "correct."
Does it mean that they were appropriate...? or righteous...? or even...?

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You've missed the (not obvious) point that the sofa cushion and the pillow are the same thing:

"...a stamped sofa-cushion portraying a large ribbon tied to a small poppy, the correct skeins of embroidery-silk lying on the pillow."

The cover of the cushion is stamped with a pattern that the buyer will embroider. Mrs. Wilks has laid out the appropriate colors of embroidery thread that the buyer will need for the project.

[Or at least that's my interpretation. In point of fact, one would embroider the cover before putting it on the cushion, but there's no reason it couldn't be displayed in the way that's described, presuming that there was an inner cover that actually contained the stuffing.]

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Florentia52,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So the cushion and the pillow were the same thing, and on it was printed a guideline design for embroidery, like this:

And on the pillow, the skeins of embroidery silk bearing the matching colors with the design were placed:

So that was the meaning of "correct" here.
    I sincerely appreciate your help, for clearly explaining its meaning. :)

< Previous | Next >