the countryman was struck all of a heap

AlexanderIII

Russian
Dear all,
this is from the book Pentameron by Giambattista Basile. Cienzo defeated the dragon, cut off his 7 heads and cut out their tongues and put them into his pocket. Some rascal of a country fellow claimed it was he who killed the dragon and to prove this he brought 7 dragon's heads he picked up on the place of the battle to the King's palace.

To prove it was he, who performed a heroic deed Cienzo
... pulled the tongues out of his pocket, while the countryman was struck all of a heap, not knowing what would be the end of it;
I guess the words in red mean the country fellow was astounded, staggered by the view of the tongues. Is this correct?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Giambattista Basile was an Italian poet, courtier, and fairy tale collector. His collections include the oldest recorded forms of many well-known European fairy tales. Giambattista Basile - Wikipedia
    the countryman was struck all of a heap, -> an archaic expression, not used in Modern English.
    not knowing what would be the end of it; -> an archaic construction, not used in Modern English.
    I guess the words in red mean the country fellow was astounded, staggered by the view of the tongues.
    That is what I guessed also - the countryman was stunned,. :D

< Previous | Next >