the court was contested

< Previous | Next >

anja_

Serbo-Croatian
Hello,

is this sentence correct: the court was contested by different political groups?

Thank you for your help.

• Biffo

English - England
    Well there is one grammatical error, it should be: The court was contested by different political groups. A sentence must begin with a capital letter.

As Thomas Tompion says the meaning of the sentence is obscure. I don't understand how a court can be contested.

Last edited:

anja_

Serbo-Croatian
    Thank you. Of course it should begin with a capital letter, sorry for not doing so. Unfortunately, on internet chats capital letters are used less frequently, so that is probably the reason why I missed it. Anyway, going back to my sentence, I wanted to say something like: Different political groups competed for the court, but I do not know if I have used the right verb. I mean, which verb would be appropriate here?

Last edited:

Biffo

English - England
    Which meaning of 'court are you referring to?
    court /kɔːt/n
    • an area of ground wholly or partly surrounded by walls or buildings
    • brit (capital when part of a name) a block of flats: Selwyn Court
    • a mansion or country house
    • a short street, sometimes closed at one end
    • a space inside a building, sometimes surrounded with galleries
    • the residence, retinues, or household of a sovereign or nobleman
    • (as modifier): a court ball
    • a sovereign or prince and his retinue, advisers, etc
    • any formal assembly, reception, etc, held by a sovereign or nobleman with his courtiers
    • homage, flattering attention, or amorous approaches (esp in the phrase pay court to someone)
    • an authority having power to adjudicate in civil, criminal, military, or ecclesiastical matters
    • the regular sitting of such a judicial authority
    • the room or building in which such a tribunal sits
    • a marked outdoor or enclosed area used for any of various ball games, such as tennis, squash, etc
    • a marked section of such an area: the service court
    • the board of directors or council of a corporation, company, etc
    • chiefly brit the supreme council of some universities
    • a branch of any of several friendly societies

We need context.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Then you might say, sticking as closely as possible to your original suggestion: Dominance of the court was contested by different political groups.

That would be possible, as long as the context made clear what sort of court we were concerned with.

< Previous | Next >