the Creed

< Previous | Next >
  • L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    I saw Sklad (Skład Apostolski) in the sense of composition on the Internet, however I don’t know any Polish, so couldn’t decide if it was what I was looking for. Credo in English, is derived from this prayer, and means principles/ethos.
    Thanks for your enlightenment. Had I know I might have found this earlier discussion Wyznanie wiary

Last edited:

jasio

As far as I am aware, there's more than one text of the Creed, slightly differing in length and details. The name may also depend on a specific context in which you may want to use it.

The official name of the longest (full?) version I am aware of, is Nicejsko-konstantynopolitańskie wyznanie wiary or Symbol konstantynopolitański (Nicejsko-konstantynopolitańskie wyznanie wiary – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia) - or "Wyznanie wiary" in short, as the full name is pretty long and sounds bookish. I do not recall seeing the full name in other context than to distinguish this specific text from other versions.

"Skład Apostolski" (or Apostolski symbol wiary, Symbol Apostolski - łac. Symbolum Apostolorum lub Symbolum Apostolicum) is also used as a shorter version of the Creed (Apostolski symbol wiary – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia).

Depending on the context, the Latin name (Credo) may also be used, albeit I'm not sure to what extent it's clear for the younger generation, as Latin has not been practically used in public services for two generations already.

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Thanks, I will use Credo to begin with, because in the French/English context it makes sense. I will be doing well if I can get my pronunciation around Wyznanie wiary. No way I’d manage a mouthful like the Nicene Creed in Polish. :oops:

jasio

I will be doing well if I can get my pronunciation around Wyznanie wiary.
    You may try to mimic a text to speach, such as Lifelike Text to Speech (TTS) - ReadSpeaker (the Polish voice, Ania, has somewhat skewed vowels, but for such a short text is good enough) or Ivona online - nagranie lektorskie głosu. Licencja komercyjna Ivona Studio | Speech2Go (the best Polish TTS, as far as I am aware; but the free online versions has limitations and adds a background music which may make it unusable for your purposes.

No way I’d manage a mouthful like the Nicene Creed in Polish. :oops:
    :)
    If you're not going to speak to religion researchers, you won't need it anyway.

< Previous | Next >