The Dangling Conversation

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
Italiano
This is the title of a Simon & Garfunkel's song which I was trying to translate. The following are some lines from the lyrics:

And I only kiss your shadow,
I cannot feel your hand,
You're a stranger now unto me
Lost in the dangling conversation.

It seems to me that a dangling conversation is somehow an unresolved one. In this case it would also appear, from the song's lyrics, that the the "dangling" conversation beween the two lovers has a superficial tone to it, sort of a screen to avoid direct confrontation on more important issues.
Could we try, just to start, with "la conversazione sospesa"?​

• rrose17

Canada, English
    Dangling has some other connotations. When you dangle something in front of someone, you are tempting them. You can dangle the chance to make a lot of money in front of someone. So here it means that there is a conversation just hanging there waiting to be opened, but there is an allure to it as well.

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    Che ne dici di "stentata"?

That's definitely better than my initial attempt, however the problem here is that I think it's really difficult to find a term capable to encompass all the different nuances that "dangling" has in this context (if you have a look at the lyrics, not just the bit I posted, you can easily realize it).;)

Teerex51

Italian
    I have known the lyrics since S&G released that song ;). I get the impression of a conversation between two people who've grown apart ("..couched in our indifference") and now go through the motions of having a normal relationship but fail ("We are verses out of rhythm", "You're a stranger now unto me"). Their conversation is left dangling and proceeds in a disconnected manner.
    My 2 cents.:D

Last edited:

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I have known the lyrics since S&G released that song ;). I get the impression of a conversation between two people who've grown apart ("..couched in our indifference") and now go through the motions of having a normal relationship but fail ("We are verses out of rhythm", "You're a stranger now unto me"). Their conversation is left dangling and proceeds in a disconnected manner.
    My 2 cents.:D

Bravo! I too, grew up on it.

Let's try some English synonyms, and see if we can find anything in the cobwebs:
    ...in abeyance...
    ...incomplete...
    ...floundering...
    ...superficial...
    ...left in the air...
    ...left with much unsaid...

???
    abandonata
    lasciata tacuita
    lasciata non detto
    ???

I'm sure part of the reason for the use of "dangling" is the rhythmn of the music.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    The theme is failed communication between lovers. The song starts in a room washed by shadows from the sun slanting through the lace curtains and ends with the room "softly faded." They are as different as the poets they read: Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost. qui

Dato il contesto, che mi pare riferito all' incomunicabilità, azzardo un "Perduta nel dialogo irrisolto" , "perduta in conversazioni non risolte".
    Mi sembra un'alternativa possibile...che dite?

Last edited: