English/USA
Is there a way to say the equivalent of "the day", as in
"The day you learn to speak Hebrew will be the day I buy you a new car"
"That will be the day"
"We will be in Italy the day that you leave"
etc...

• bat777

Israel, Hebrew
    "hayom" is simply ambiguous between 'today' and 'the day'. it's equally good in both meanings (though the the first one is more common).
    however, in some cases, like in the example that you gave "we will be in italy the day that you leave", you should say "bayom", meaning 'on the day' (or 'in' or 'at', i'm not sure about the correct preposition in english).

gooday

by the way, i would appreciate corrections of my english... :eek:

Flaminius

hedomodo
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    What if ha-yom is emphasized by ha-ze? I mean, if one says ha-yom ha-ze, does the phrase come to exclusively mean "today (= this, not any other, day)"?

girloncrack

English/USA
    Aha, excellent alternative. Would saying this (ha'yom ha'zeh) sound stilted or formal in casual conversation?

JAN SHAR

pashto
    Also, you could use כיום, which also means "today". Although some people might take it to mean "like/according to/around today", because כ can mean "like/according to/around ("around" in the sense of "about")".

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    היום and כיום are both possible in classical Hebrew but only the former is used in modern Hebrew.

Abaye

Hebrew
    Today has two meanings: "on or for this day", "at the present time". The usual in modern Hebrew is כיום for the latter, היום for the former, but in certain situations היום is also for the latter, e.g. "הנוער של היום".