The destruction of something

Shadik hasan

Bangla
1.The destruction of the condemned building will take place at noon.
(What does 'destruction' mean here? Does it mean ''the action of destroying the condemned building will start at noon?
Or, the action of destroying the building will be completed at noon?) <-----Additional quuestion removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

2.The destruction of the building has been done by 3 days.(action of destroying the building)

3.Their(Birds) decline has been accelerated by the destruction of their fedding and nesting places, by collection of eggs.
(Here, i can easily understand that it means ''by destroying their fedding and nesting places)

4.Annihilation is the total destruction of something.(here, it doesn't actually mean any action of destroying something)

[Actually my problem is whenever i see this type of nouns. I cannot easily understand. I always think that, that noun means 'the action of destroying' based on the example(3). suppose here, Annihilation means the state of having been annihilated, but I think 'the action of annihilating something'

<-----Off-topic comments removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please tell us where you found these sentences, Shadik hasan.Did you write them (particularly the second one) yourself? If so, in what context would you use them?

Also, could you please explain what you mean by "it doesn't actually mean any action of destroying something?"

Shadik hasan

Bangla
    No. Actually I got 2 sentences(1,4) from dictionaries, and the other 2 sentences from a book(Advanced learners)

Shadik hasan

Bangla
    Please tell us where you found these sentences, Shadik hasan.Did you write them (particularly the second one) yourself? If so, in what context would you use them?

Also, could you please explain what you mean by "it doesn't actually mean any action of destroying something?"
    Yes actually, I asked someone about the use of the noun destruction, Then he told me that sentence(2). And also said, The building has been destroyed by 3 days.

And here, I mean by that sentence "it doesn't actually mean 'any action' of destroying something'' ''(no one does the action of destroying, it is actually the sate/fact of something being destroyed)

Last edited:

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    (What does 'destruction' mean here? Does it mean ''the action of destroying the condemned building will start at noon?
    Or, the action of destroying the building will be completed at noon?)
    --- Yes, it means the action of destroying the building. The act of destruction will begin at noon and it will take a very short time to complete (maybe the demolition company is using explosives that were put in place before noon).

2.The destruction of the building has been done by 3 days.(action of destroying the building)
    -- I don't understand this sentence. The preposition 'by' plus the present perfect 'has been done' doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean "The destruction of the building was completed in three days?"

You wrote: "And here, I mean by that sentence "it doesn't actually mean 'any action' of destroying something'' ''(no one does the action of destroying, it is actually the sate/fact of something being destroyed)"
    -- In the WR dictionaries, though, the definition of destruction is "the act of destroying or the condition of being destroyed."
    Your "state/fact of something being destroyed" is the second part of the definition: "the condition of being destroyed."
    Your sentence 1) uses the first part of the definition: "the act of destroying."

Shadik hasan

Bangla
    To make you understand what I want to know, i am giving examples of another word.

1.The kidney plays a vital role in the removal of waste products from the blood. (Action of removing)

2.Government advisers have requested the drug's removal from the market for safety reasons. (Here it doesn't mean any action of removing)(it actually mean the state of drug having been removed).
    Can i say this sentence like, ''requested the removal of the drug from the market''?

Thank you.

Packard

USA, English
    This article distinguishes between "destruction", "demolition" and "deconstruction".

It says that "destruction" is a subset of "demolition". Are you sure that "destruction" is the word you are looking for. That is what had me perplexed in the beginning.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09613218.2011.585785

DESTRUCTION:

Some demolitions of buildings and ensembles have a clear cultural intent. Certain buildings are destroyed with the intent of erasing the (collective) memory or identity related to these buildings (or what they stand for): Buildings are attacked not because they are in the path of a military objective: to their destroyers, they are the objective. (Bevan, 2006, p. 8) A large number of such examples of destructions of architecture and of works of art with high symbolic signification can be found.

Shadik hasan

Bangla
    Or, the action of destroying the building will be completed at noon?)
    --- Yes, it means the action of destroying the building. The act of destruction will begin at noon and it will take a very short time to complete (maybe the demolition company is using explosives that were put in place before noon).

-- I don't understand this sentence. The preposition 'by' plus the present perfect 'has been done' doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean "The destruction of the building was completed in three days?"

You wrote: "And here, I mean by that sentence "it doesn't actually mean 'any action' of destroying something'' ''(no one does the action of destroying, it is actually the sate/fact of something being destroyed)"
    -- In the WR dictionaries, though, the definition of destruction is "the act of destroying or the condition of being destroyed."
    Your "state/fact of something being destroyed" is the second part of the definition: "the condition of being destroyed."
    Your sentence 1) uses the first part of the definition: "the act of destroying."
    Thank you.

Yes, I actually mean, The destruction of the building was completed in three days.

How could you Understand that when a noun like them actually mean action and when condition?

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I once watched the destruction / demolition of a bridge. The exact time had been announced in advance. Explosive charges had been placed, and at the appointed time, before a large crowd gathered at a distance, there was a muffled explosion and the whole bridge collapsed into the river. The crowd cheered loudly, and then dispersed.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Thank you.

Yes, I actually mean, The destruction of the building was completed in three days.

How could you Understand that when a noun like them actually mean action and when condition?
    I would rely on the context.
    The destruction of the building was completed in three days = the activity of destroying
    The video showed that the storm left a trail of destruction three miles wide = the condition or state of buildings having been destroyed

< Previous | Next >