and
사랑한 걸 or 사랑하는 걸

2. When should I use 다는?

정말 고맙습니다.

• Sunbee

Banned
    Korean
    Hi rienn
    The meaning of 'verb+다는' is almost the same as 'verb+는'.
    사랑한다는 걸 is similar to 사랑하는 걸 and both express the present fact. But 사랑한 걸 expresses the past fact.
    'verb+다' completes a sentence.
    So 'verb+다는' gives a little bit the feeling like a third person says it and it's objective statement, compared with 'verb+는'.

wildsunflower

Korean & English (Canada)
    You can think 'verb+다는' is a verb-noun, (I am sorry I don't know the grammatical term for this.) and not subject to grammatical tenses. The English equivalent of 사랑한다는 걸 can be "It is important to learn how to love your neighbors." or "Sympathizing is not the same as loving." I assume that is why 'verb+다는' gives the feeling of the third-person narrative form.

wildsunflower

Korean & English (Canada)
    Is it ok to say 먹는다는 걸 or 읽는다는 걸?
    Yes.

I am sorry I should have said 'verb+다는+' is a verb-noun. "것" makes the phrase into a noun. "'verb+다는" is an adjective, because it ends with "~ㄴ". You can see the same pattern with "사랑한" in "사랑한 걸" or "사랑하는" in "사랑하는 걸".

"~ 걸" is a shortened version of "~ 것을", which is a combination of "~ 것" + "을". In this, "을" indicates that the verb-noun is an object. In addition, "~ 것이" is a subject of the sentence, because of "이". I hope this is not too confusing.

< Previous | Next >