the difference between internship and work placement

Discussion in 'English Only' started by the ironist, Nov 28, 2009.

  1. the ironist

    the ironist New Member

    I just want to make sure I got it right.
    In my opinion, a work placement is part of a university degree while people usually do internships outside of university term time.

    However, I think that most people now use the word "internship" to refer to a work placement.
    Isn't the word "internship" American? I think many British people now use it though
  2. owlman5

    owlman5 Senior Member

    Though I can't advise you on English as it's spoken in the UK, I can tell you that "internship" is widely used in the US. It often refers to work that some student does for a company to gain experience and make contacts within a profession. Though "internship" is what I generally hear when people refer to this experience, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some call it "work placement".
  3. Welshie

    Welshie Senior Member

    England, English
    It seems to me that "internship" is rarely used in the UK. University students do "work/industrial placements", people with short term jobs are either contractors or people with summer jobs..
  4. the ironist

    the ironist New Member

    Thanks guys!

Share This Page