the difference between merchandising and manufacturing

< Previous | Next >

gugo53

Vietnamese
Hello, could anybody explain the difference between merchandising and manufacturing for me?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Hello, Gugo53, and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried looking in the WR dictionary? Enter each word in the box at the top of the screen and choose "English definition".

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, gugo53.

Have you used the WR dictionary to look up these terms? If you enter "merchandising" or "manufacturing" into the search box at the top of the page, you will get definitions that should be helpful. (I've made links here as a short cut for you.)

[Cross-posted with Keith Bradford]

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Welcome to WRF!

You might not be familiar with the WRF dictionary yet. If you enter a word into the search box at the top of the page, and click on either of the links at the far right of that line, you will be taken to that word's definition. (The rightmost link opens the definition in a new page. The magnifying glass next to it opens the definition in place of the page you were on.) If the definitions do not explain the difference, we can try to help.

A simple explanation, as a starting point, is: Manufacturing is making something. Merchandising is trying to sell it.

gugo53

Vietnamese
    Thank you for helping me with this question. You have replied more quickly than I expected. :). I am not an English native speaker, so if I say something wrong please make an allowance for me.

Last edited:

gugo53

Vietnamese
    I want to ask a more question about this thread
    In this sentence, why do we choose 'merchandising', not 'produce', 'manufacturing' or 'sales'?
    'There is a huge amount of ....... associated with children's TV nowadays'

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In this sentence, why do we choose 'merchandising', not 'produce', 'manufacturing' or 'sales'?
    'There is a huge amount of ....... associated with children's TV nowadays'
    "Merchandising" is correct because the sentence has to do with advertising (selling) products in association with children's television.

"Produce" would be completely incorrect. A noun is required here, and "produce" as a noun means something very different.

"Manufacturing" would be grammatically correct, but would change the meaning of the sentence, making it somewhat illogical.

"Sales" would be closer to the intended meaning (although still different), and would require changing "There is" to "There are."

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Welcome, gugo.

I suspect that "merchandising", in the context of children's TV, is probably in the sense of definition #2 in the WR dictionary:
    - commercial goods, esp ones issued to exploit the popularity of a pop group, sporting event, etc.

In this case, it would probably refer to toys, games, clothes, etc, based on TV characters and storylines. Does that fit with what you have in mind, gugo?

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >