the difference/variation (between two data) will be only a little.

< Previous | Next >

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
An order has not been ready, but the customer asked me to send the weight data for each carton. There are four cartons; as I can only have the accurate weight after weighing them when they are ready, I estimated weight data for each carton. I will weigh each of the carton and provide the final weight when the goods are ready. Now he needs the weight for reference and I have to provide a draft one which is not very accurate. I wrote to him "the weight I give now is not final; weight data might be changed after we weigh the goods when they are ready, but the difference/variation will be only a little."

For the part in bold, I wanted to mean there won't be a big difference between the final weight and this draft weight. For example, the weight I provide for each carton is 12kgs, 13kgs, 10kgs, 6kgs. But the final weight might be 11.8kgs, 13.5kgs, 11kgs, 7kgs; the difference between the draft and final is only 0.2kgs, 0.5kgs, 1kg, 1kg. As you can see, the difference is not big. I am not sure it's callled difference or variation, or something else. Thank you.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    And variation might be misunderstood, if the receiver has some knowledge of statistics. The variation is the square of the standard deviation: that is, it's a technical term that isn't just the 'difference' in an everyday sense.

< Previous | Next >