the dim, glad moan of spring, moving into bud

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(para. 367, chapter 10) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):

She was gone in her own soft rapture, like a forest soughing with the dim, glad moan of spring, moving into bud. She could feel in the same world with her the man, the nameless man, moving on beautiful feet, beautiful in the phallic mystery. And in herself in all her veins, she felt him and his child. His child was in all her veins, like a twilight.

The first sentence is very difficult for me, especially the part in bold.
I feel it's the forest that moved into bud, in other words, the logical subject of "moving into bud" is forest". And "glad" indicates "happiness", while "moan" indicates pain, so the two words are contradictory. And what's the meaning of "dim" here?

Could you please give me some help?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • SuiGeneris

USA
    New York - English, Spanish
    Even though the pain you refer to here could be physical or mental, 'moan' is also a sound that denotes sexual pleasure, and in this sentence it is being used in a similar way to this; considering also that right before the word moan, the author strategically chose to include the word glad. That should give you a clue right there. The word 'dim' is used to mean something like 'small' or 'just beginning' or 'just so', as a dim light is. So the 'glad moaning of the forest beginning small and moving into a bud' is a metaphor speaking of her going someplace else in mind...

Big hug.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you.
    Now I rephrase like a forest soughing with the dim, glad moan of spring, moving into bud as:
    as if a forest is moving into bud(=growing into buds), which is soughing using(=with) the dim, glad moan of spring.
    Am I right?

Big hug

SuiGeneris

USA
    New York - English, Spanish
    Indeed, but just to be sure you know...

Soughing is a sound. In nature, it is like the sound effect wind can have upon trees or with the water...why it is being equaled to a human moan. It is something like a very light rustle sound or whisper...

And so...the forest soughs. How? With the dim, glad moan. Dim, glad moan then becomes a description of the soughing.

Hugs ;)

< Previous | Next >