The dish was supposed to have potatoes in it according to the description on the menu.

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

This is another sentence I was wondering how to say a little while ago at a Chinese restaurant: [Context: dish has come but they forgot to put potatoes in it] "Why does this dish not have any potatoes in it? The dish was supposed to have potatoes in it according to the description on the menu."
(I forget the dish name, but we ordered it and it was supposed to have 3 main ingredients: potatoes, eggplant and peppers (the vegetable))

Would anyone be able to help with this translation? (It does not necessarily have to be 直译)
Thanks!

• qrokjae

Sichuanese Mandarin
    This dish may be 地三鲜.

And the translation:

这道菜里面为什么没有土豆?菜单上不是说这里面有土豆吗?

Last edited:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    Here, mostly, we call potatoes 馬鈴薯; 土豆 refers to peanuts. (There doesn't exist a term in Mandarin specifically referring to monkey nuts, I suspect.)

I think that you may be interested to know a politer expression:
    不好意思。這道菜菜單上說,有馬鈴薯,但我好像沒看到。​

Twangling

Chinese
    I'll try to approach it with a straightforward translation. 菜单上写了这道菜应该放土豆的。(上上来怎么没有?)

Twangling

Chinese
    It is colloquial. The first 上 is the verb meaning 上菜, wherein 菜 is omitted. The second 上 in 上来 is used as an adverb, meaning "把菜端到桌上时/when the dish is served." It is not grammatically necessary to have both.

albert_laosong

Mandarin
    It is colloquial. The first 上 is the verb meaning 上菜, wherein 菜 is omitted. The second 上 in 上来 is used as an adverb, meaning "把菜端到桌上时/when the dish is served." It is not grammatically necessary to have both.
    Yes, the first 上 means 上菜, the following 上来 means the same as that in 端上来,呈上来,交上来 etc.
    上上来 is quite acceptable colloquially, but it can only be used in very limited context I think.

< Previous | Next >