the dog snarked up the cookie

jacdac

Lebanese
After an hour or so I stopped to untie the good-sized bundle of food Dora had packed for me. There were molasses cookies among the other goodies. No chocolate in those, so I gave one to Radar, who snarked it up. There were also three long glass jars wrapped in clean rags.
source: Fairy Tale by Stephen King

I guess snarked it up is a king-ism for wolfed it down/gobbled it up, right?

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    I had never heard snark before, but the context made it clear to me that it was King's version of snarf, which is a verb that I hear every now and then*. Here is a definition for snarf from our dictionary:

snarf/snɑːf/ vb
    1. informal to eat or drink greedily
    *Usually with up or down: She said she was hungry, so I bought her a meal and watched her snarf it up.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I had never heard snark before, but the context made it clear to me that it was King's version of snarf, which is a verb that I hear every now and then. Here is a definition for snarf from our dictionary:

snarf/snɑːf/ vb
    1. informal to eat or drink greedily
    :thumbsup: Not to mention
    scarf3 (skärf ), v.t., v.i. [Slang.]
    1. Slang Terms to eat, esp. voraciously (often fol. by down or up):to scarf down junk food.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    King probably got it from whatever illegal recreational nibbles he takes before putting pen to paper. He just likes making up slightly odd things.

kentix

English - U.S.
    You can hark something up, which means it leaves in the same direction it came.

All the versions are likely based on onomatopoeia.