the door had been locked

lingkky

chinese
For example ,I had locked the door before someone opened it again.In order to convey the situation ,there is a correct sentence

"I had locked the door before he opened it again just now"

Is it correct if I try to shorten it become
"I had locked the door" by hiding the second action in past(he opened the door again)?????

• suzi br

English / England
    "I had locked the door." is a viable sentence.

It depends on the context / preceding conversation whether any other implication would be made.

lingkky

chinese
    For example ,I am curious about why the door is opened since I closed it before.

"Who opened it?I am sure I had closed it already"

"Why is it open ?I really had closed it "

Are they correct in using past perfect tense "had closed"?

suzi br

English / England
    For example ,I am curious about why the door is opened since I closed it before.

"Who opened it?I am sure I had closed it already"

"Why is it open ?I really had closed it "

Are they correct in using past perfect tense "had closed"?
    I don't think you need the past perfect in these cases, is would be fine to use "I closed it". Usually we save the past perfet for a time sequence. e.g. "The dog got out last night because although I had closed the door at dinner-time, Lingkky left it open when he came in."

However, sometimes we use past perfect to add emphasis. I HAD closed it! As though you were being accused of not closing it, so you choose this wording to underline your action.

lingkky

chinese
    I don't think you need the past perfect in these cases, is would be fine to use "I closed it". Usually we save the past perfet for a time sequence. e.g. "The dog got out last night because although I had closed the door at dinner-time, Lingkky left it open when he came in."

However, sometimes we use past perfect to add emphasis. I HAD closed it! As though you were being accused of not closing it, so you choose this wording to underline your action.
    Ok.Thank you.
    <-----Additional question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:

lingkky

chinese

the emphasis
    "I had closed it" is used regardless whether the door is open or closed now?

lingkky

chinese
    It makes no difference what the door is doing now, when you are talking about what you did earlier.
    A:where is the food ?you are lazy to cook again,right?

B: I had cooked it!(emphasis) It is on the table now.

Is my example correct ?

< Previous | Next >