The dowry that his wife brought him enabled the Italian engraver Piranesi to devote himself complete

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
The dowry that his wife brought him enabled the Italian engraver Piranesi to devote himself completely to art.
Source: vocabulary for the high school student

Hello,
I completely understand the meanings of each word and also the meaning of the sentence as a whole. But I can't see how the first part of the sentence is relevant to the second part of the sentence. I mean I don't know if the engraver is the husband of the wife or not. Why the dowry should make an engraver to devote himself to art? I see no relationship between the two parts in the above sentence. Why an engraver should be devoted to art by seeing an alien's dowry?

It's as if you and I are friends. You buy a new car and this makes me to be devoted to art. You see? This is nonsense. What's your opinion about the sentence?

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    The dowry that Piranesi's wife brought to their marriage was undoubtedly money in some form ... and enough of it that he had the financial freedom to devote himself to art, rather than having to find a good-paying job.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    To devote oneself to something -> to dedicate one's time exclusively to something

You have missed:
    The dowry that his wife brought him enabled the Italian engraver Piranesi to devote himself completely to art.

His wife's money (the dowry) meant that Piranesi did not need to work for a living but could spend all his time doing his art.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Oh, I see now.
    I though there were three people in the sentence.

A wife.
    A husband.
    An engraver watching their marriage/dowry.

I didn't think that it was the engraver's wife.

Thank you everybody.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    A dowry wasn't something that anyone would "watch". From the WR dictionary:
    • the money or property brought by a woman to her husband at marriage

In those days, in some places, it was the custom for a dowry to be contributed to the couple when they married. It actually came from the bride's father, since women didn't work for a living. Apparently Piranesi's wife's father contributed a generous sum.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Just for additional information, the dowry system is not only still prevalent in India but also growing day by day, which creates very big problems for the bride's family :mad:. So dowry is not only a thing of the past, at least not in India.

< Previous | Next >