The drama du jour

< Previous | Next >

amore77

Farsi-English
I need help,

In the following sentence:

I realized that speed is a defining characteristic of our time--
that waht we're experiencing is not merely the drama du jour, but a more-faster-now revolution.

Thanks

• la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hello amore77,

It's a play on the French expression soup / plat du jour: the soup or special of the day

drama= In this context, it means hubbub or ups and downs, often fast-paced

du jour = French, meaning of the day

Drama du jour means the usual hubbub or ups and downs of a typical day or: daily drama

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Let me try to put it another way: I realize that speed is one of the most important qualities of our time. What we are experiencing is not just another unimportant drama. Rather, it is a true revolution. We want more, we want it faster, and we want it now.

"Drama du jour" = the latest drama. Or: the latest controversy.

Wishfull

Japanese
    What we're experiencing is not merely the drama of today, but a more-faster-now revolution.

I think "the drama of today" is the figurative expression of "today's life".

We are experiencing not our today's life, but revolution which requires more faster than now.
    Which requires faster and faster, continuously becoming faster.

amore77

Farsi-English
    What we're experiencing is not merely the drama of today, but a more-faster-now revolution.

I think "the drama of today" is the figurative expression of "today's life".

We are experiencing not our today's life, but revolution which requires more faster than now.
    Which requires faster and faster, continuously becoming faster.
    Thanks

Adam Cruge

Banned
    India & Bengali
    du jour = French, meaning of the day
    So can I use "the news du jour" to mean "news of the day or latest news"?

Sun14

Chinese
    Let me try to put it another way: I realize that speed is one of the most important qualities of our time. What we are experiencing is not just another unimportant drama. Rather, it is a true revolution. We want more, we want it faster, and we want it now.

"Drama du jour" = the latest drama. Or: the latest controversy.
    One second I was sitting there, ready for the challenge du jour.

How about this collocation? Does it mean daily challenge or the latest challenge?

suzi br

English / England
    Hi Sun14

I suppose you could use it there, but I would expect a bit more in the sentence too.

"I was waiting for ....when my boss offered me a .... "

Do you see?

Sun14

Chinese
    Hi Sun14

I suppose you could use it there, but I would expect a bit more in the sentence too.

"I was waiting for ....when my boss offered me a .... "

Do you see?
    I see. This is the more detailed context:

One day during the first week of January, in an early morning staff meeting. It happened. One second I was sitting there, ready for the challenge du jour. The next second I was somewhere else, looking down on the meeting and myself through something like a porthole. And a voice inside my head asked, ”Is this really the way you want to spend the rest of your life?’

suzi br

English / England
    Not so much challenge as a big turning point where the character starts to rebel against his daily life and think about what else he can do.

I could have dealt with your question better if you had included your context in your first post.

Sun14

Chinese
    Not so much challenge as a big turning point where the character starts to rebel against his daily life and think about what else he can do.

I could have dealt with your question better if you had included your context in your first post.
    I see, is it like a routine challenge for the author?

JustKate

I think I should add that ____ du jour is intended to be a mild joke. It's comparing something to soup, after all. :) When someone talks about the drama du jour or the challenge du jour, he's trying to be funny. If you were, for example, writing about someone who has had a serious stroke, you wouldn't usually refer to that as the challenge du jour.

Myridon

English - US
    In a US restaurant, soup du jour implies that there is a soup that is different each day. Monday, the soup du jour is chicken noodle, Tuesday the soup du jour is tomato, ... thus a challenge du jour is a new challenge today. This suggests these challenges are not very difficult since there will be a different challenge tomorrow. If you read reviews of TV cop shows, they might talk about the murder du jour - every episode they solve a murder that is unrelated to last week's story. Each episode starts with a dead body and proceeds to solve the case in one hour of television.

< Previous | Next >