the drawing <of> the dog

Anne58

English
Hello,

I am wondering how I would say or infer the word 'of' in a sentence such as this:

The drawing of the dog was on the paper.

Somehow I don't think this is really counts as an idaafa construction since the drawing isn't a possession of the dog.

Thanks

• clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Al-ʔiḍāfa isn't strictly for "possession" necessarily. Often with مصادر, the مضاف إليه is actually what would be the مفعول به of the verb, if you used a verb instead of a مصدر. For example, أكلت لحما - I ate meat. But, أكل اللحم "the eating of meat."

In this case I would say كان رسم الكلب على الورقة.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I suppose that could be true, but we don't know without more context. In a "real world" context, a dog cannot draw, so it probably implies a drawing of a dog.

Serafín33

I suppose that could be true, but we don't know without more context. In a "real world" context, a dog cannot draw, so it probably implies a drawing of a dog.
    Yes, but in an unreal context such a cartoon where dogs behave like humans, there would be a nuance. I just had never realized that it's actually possible to see the second element of the ’iDaafa as either the agent or the patient of the verb.

< Previous | Next >