the driver cought the break

the-moon-light

Arabic (Saudia) but I'm Yemeni :)
Hi all :)

How to say in Arabic (classical Arabic) "fusHa":

1) "The driver caught the brakes" ?
Here is my try:
السائق مسك الفرامل.

But I am not sure about "faramil" if it's a correct word in fusHa!
It can be "المكابح" too, "السائق مسك المكابح", can I say: "مسك المكابح"? it will be correct?

2) " but the car brakes failed"
ولكن فرامل السيارة لم تعمل.
can I say: " ولكن فرامل السيارة فشلت" ?

3) For the verb can I say:
"كبح السائق"
or
"فرمل السائق"
in classical Arabic?

P.S. for me I prefer the word "فرامل" more than "مكابح" because I can use the verb from this word too, and it's more familiar to my hearing.
What do you think? I'll be happy to know your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all of you : )

Last edited:
  • cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi Moon light :)

First, as far as I know, faraamel is not Arabic but an Arabisation of something, maybe from the French "frein". The FuS7a word is مكابح I think it was نُحِتت from the verb كَبَح = to stop, to put a limit...

1)"The driver cought the brakes" ?
    Here is my try:
    السائق مسك الفرامل.

But I am not sure about "faramil" if it's a correct word.!
    I think we can say داس على المكابح . Even if it's not common to our ears -because we use فرامل in colloquial. :)
    2) " But the car brakes failed"
    ولكن الفرامل لم تعمل.
    can I say: " ولكن الفرامل فشلت" ?

I'd go with لكن المكابح لم تعمل or لكن السيارة لم تتوقف or لكن المكابح كانت مُعطَّلة/كان بها عطل .
    3) I came accros "المكابح" too, but how to use it as a verb?
    كبح السائق؟
    Can I say: "فرمل السائق" in classical Arabic?
    I've only seen it with horses: كبح جماح حصانه/فرسه but why not use it with the car? :) كبح سيارته or حاول كبح سيارته . (But personally, I'd go with داس على المكابح rather than كبح ).

If you're writing something that is not too formal, I think you can use فرمل without problem. But if it is formal or more serious, I suggest you use مكابح and داس على المكابح/مكابح السيارة .

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In PIMSA (Palestinian-Israeli MSA), فرامل is the word that is used (at least I've never come across مكابح). In colloquial we say بريكات ("brekkaat"); the singular is بريك ("breek" or "brek").

By the way, I've never heard "caught the breaks" in English. I would say "stepped on the breaks."

the-moon-light

Arabic (Saudia) but I'm Yemeni :)
    Hi Moon light :)

First, as far as I know, faraamel is not Arabic but an Arabisation of something, maybe from the French "frein". The FuS7a word is مكابح I think it was نُحِتت from the verb كَبَح = to stop, to put a limit...

I think we can say داس على المكابح . Even if it's not common to our ears -because we use فرامل in colloquial. :)
    [/COLOR]
    I'd go with لكن المكابح لم تعمل or لكن السيارة لم تتوقف or لكن المكابح كانت مُعطَّلة/كان بها عطل .

I've only seen it with horses: كبح جماح حصانه/فرسه but why not use it with the car? :) كبح سيارته or حاول كبح سيارته . (But personally, I'd go with داس على المكابح rather than كبح ).

If you're writing something that is not too formal, I think you can use فرمل without problem. But if it is formal or more serious, I suggest you use مكابح and داس على المكابح/مكابح السيارة .

Thanks a lot my dear cherin that was a great help!! :)

In PIMSA (Palestinian-Israeli MSA), فرامل is the word that is used (at least I've never come across مكابح). In colloquial we say بريكات ("brekkaat"); the singular is بريك ("breek" or "brek").

By the way, I've never heard "caught the breaks" in English. I would say "stepped on the breaks."
    Thanks a lot elroy for your clarification : )
    By the way, is there anything called Israeli Arabic?? I never seen this in any dictionary.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >