the electric current passes through the circuit breaker

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
Is it correct to say that "the electric current passes through the circuit breakers"? I realize it is an unusual question, but what do you think? Where do I go wrong?

Thank you

• JustKate

I honestly don't know much about electrical circuitry, so I can't tell you if electricity passes through circuit breakers or does something else there. But "electric current passes through ______" is definitely idiomatic.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I honestly don't know much about electrical circuitry, so I can't tell you if electricity passes through circuit breakers or does something else there. But "electric current passes through ______" is definitely idiomatic.
    It might do. It usually detects the faults that occur and interrupts the current flow :).

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I am qualified in this area and I see no issue with "passes". Personally I would be more likely to use "flows", however.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I wouldn't say that. For me "electricity" is the overall phenomenon or form of energy. I might say "The house has no electricity" or "The electricity is back on", but what flows through a circuit is a current.

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >