the emotional world filtered through the tragic figures American teenagers are drawn to gets old

< Previous | Next >

josiahholley

Chinese - China
Hello. I was reading an album review online and it says:

It’s also wearying to spend this much time in the presence of this depressing character. The masochism, the self-hatred, the drugs, the emotional world filtered through the tragic figures American teenagers are drawn to gets old.

I'm baffled by the meaning of the latter sentence because I can't figure out its grammatical structure. Thanks in advance!

• wandle

English - British
    The intended structure is:
    The emotional world (composed of masochism, self-hatred, drugs) [which is] filtered through the tragic figures [to whom] American teenagers are drawn is getting old.

The clauses in blue and green are defining (restrictive) relative clauses. In the original they are presented in an abbreviated form which is correct, though it is not easy for a learner to follow.

However the original sentence as a whole is not correctly expressed because the grammatical subject, according to the phrasing used, is 'The masochism, the self-hatred, the drugs, the emotional world'. That expression as written is a list of four things, which means the subject is plural and that therefore requires a plural verb.

Last edited:

josiahholley

Chinese - China
    The intended structure is:
    The emotional world (composed of masochism, self-hatred, drugs) [which is] filtered through the tragic figures [to whom] American teenagers are drawn is getting old.

The clauses in blue and green are defining (restrictive) relative clauses. In the original they are presented in an abbreviated form which is correct, though it is not easy for a learner to follow.

However the original sentence as a whole is not correctly expressed because the grammatical subject, according to the phrasing used, is 'The masochism, the self-hatred, the drugs, the emotional world'. That expression as written is a list of four things, which means the subject is plural and that therefore requires a plural verb.
    Seems Pitchfork clearly needs writers with better grammatical skills:D. Thanks so much!

< Previous | Next >