the enemy were in their turn beaten off too

< Previous | Next >

enkidu68

turkish
Hi friends this is coming from Colonel Jack by Daniel Defoe.
I read this paragraph many times, but I am not sure of who won this battle!
Does "beaten off" mean" getting away in this context?

But I know not by what mistake among our generals, or defect in the execution of their orders, the brigade of Normandy and our Irish Brigade, who had so
bravely entered the German intrenchments, were not supported as we should have been, so that we were obliged to sustain the shock of the whole German army, and at last to quit the advantage we had gained, and that not without loss; but, being timely reinforced by a great body of horse, the enemy were in their turn beaten off too, and driven back into their very camp

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    It means that the enemy were forced back.

The narrator's side suffered some setbacks but they were later able to drive the enemy back.

Colonel Jack and his brigades have attacked the Germans. Colonel Jack's attack was defeated by the defenders -- that is, the attack was beaten off.
    The Germans then counterattacked, but now it was the German attack that was unsuccessful. The German attack was also defeated by the defenders (= beaten off too), and in fact the Germans were pushed back from their original line all the way to the place behind their lines where they had established their camp.

< Previous | Next >