The English football is / English football is....

Gabriele8512

Italian - Italy
Hi everyone,

I've got another doubt:

Would it be better to say: The English football is.... or English football is....

I sometimes tend to be confused with this grammar rule.

Thanks everyone in advance

G.

• RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    "The English football is...." You're talking about the ball.
    "English football is...." You're talking about the game.

Gabriele8512

Italian - Italy
    In general you would expect "English football is ..."
    Do you have a specific sentence in mind?

I would say so: "The English footbal is way better than the Italian one"

Is it correct? In this case I used the article "the" as I'm talking about something specific. What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance

G.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    "English football is better than the Italian one." (If you are talking about the game, not balls, don't use the article at the beginning of the sentence because "football" as a game is uncountable.)

Note: The definite article before "Italian" has been used for "one" (following "Italian").

Barque

Tamil
    "English football is better than the Italian one." (if you are talking about the game, not balls).
    I'm not sure I agree. I'd expect "English football is better than the Italian version" or "the Italian variety" or something similar, if you wanted to use that structure.

suzi br

English / England
    I would say so: "The English footbal is way better than the Italian one"

Is it correct? In this case I used the article "the" as I'm talking about something specific.
    That is not correct.
    You shoud simply say "English football is far better than Italian football." - optionally - you could drop the second "football".

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I'm not sure I agree. I'd expect "English football is better than the Italian version" or "the Italian variety" or something similar, if you wanted to use that structure.
    I couldn't agree more. In fact, I thought of saying that but then somehow missed it. Since "football" is uncountable, we can't use "one" for it.

Gabriele8512

Italian - Italy
    Why if I say "The English language" it's correct whereas if I say "The English football" it's not?

What's the difference? It's so difficult to understand, please help me! :(

heypresto

English - England
    'Language' is countable, whereas 'football' is uncountable - when referring to the game, not the ball itself.

There are zillions of languages, so you'd say 'the English language', 'the French language', 'the German language' etc.

(But note 'English' on its own is uncountable.)

Gabriele8512

Italian - Italy
    'Language' is countable, whereas 'football' is uncountable - when referring to the game, not the ball itself.

There are zillions of languages, so you'd say 'the English language', 'the French language', 'the German language' etc.

(But note 'English' on its own is uncountable.)

Thank you! :)

< Previous | Next >